Discussions By Condition: Muscle conditions

Chronic Knee Pain

Posted In: Muscle conditions 2 Replies
  • Posted By: NothingThere
  • May 21, 2008
  • 08:29 PM

I am writing for my husband.

He has had knee pain in both knees since he was in high school.

This has ranged from just being just an ache to sharp pains to having his knee lock if he sat down with his feet underneath him.

He was in band and did not participate in any sports with the school.

He recently was carrying a heavy item up the stairs at his work and he miss stepped and fell on his knee.

The next day he was unable to walk properly and unable to go up and down the stairs.

This continued for about 2 weeks and we finally went to a specialist.

The first visit, the doctor took x-rays and pointed out something that looked like a large cloudy foreign body that might be a fragment of something causing the lock up.

He then sent us to get an MRI.

A week later we went back in to have the doctor tell us the MRI showed nothing and there was nothing wrong with him.

He then simply headed out the room.

I was perplexed at this answer.

How can my husband who is 27, have knee pain in both knees, with the right one being worse for this long and he can tell us nothing?

I asked the doctor what might cause it and he said "Oh, it could be anything, probably arthritis. Since the MRI showed nothing i don't want to go in there and just look around."

So we left with no answers to the cause of my husbands constant pain or any way to relieve it.

Does anyone have any ideas?

We had thought about getting a second opinion but it is pricey and we will have to build up the funds again.

Any ideas or thoughts would be great, we feel kind of lost.

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

  • is your husband walking pattern straight? Look at the sneaker or shoe sole crooked or level on both sides. Is his walking look uneven? If the doctor did all the test and can find the problem. The Both knees should be even try using walking cane. Tiger balm is a pain cream. Buy knee wrap at your local drug store. Do some exercises in bed, flexing the knee.
    Anonymous 42789 Replies Flag this Response
  • These clueless doctors still charge their usual fee tho don't they?Any ortho specialist should check the alignment of your frame.Also flat feet will cause misalignment. Instead of checking for this and reccommending arch supports or special shoes, doctors would rather do knee and hip replacements.I've been there. Self diagnosed and Presto! No more need for hip replacement.
    Anonymous 42789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.