Discussions By Condition: Mouth conditions

Jaw pain related to inset of flavor?

Posted In: Mouth conditions 1 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • January 5, 2010
  • 08:00 AM

Hi, this is a weird issue that I've had for many many years. Whenever I eat or drink something with flavor for the first time in several hours, I get a sharp pain around the sides of my jaw. It only lasts for a few seconds and then I'm fine. Nobody I've ever mentioned it to has any idea what I'm talking about. It's been something that I've lived with if only because the pain period is only a few seconds at a time, and only a few times per day, so It's not super bothersome. However, it does raise curiosity and maybe a bit of concern because it's clearly not normal. I should add that if I drink something like water that has relatively no flavor it dosnt tend to give me the pain. Also, sometimes I get the pain just before I taste whatever it is, as if its anticipatory and possibly part neurological. I am no health professional, and I have no idea what this could be, anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

More details:

-I am a slender person, but I generally eat 2-3 meals per day with some snacking in between.
-The pain is probably more severe with more intense flavors (ie. sour things hurt more than sweet things)
-I looked at some diagrams, and my pain is symmetrical and although it seems to be located in the mandibular area, it dosn't occur as high as the hinge of the jaw, more around my molars, however it dosn't feel like its my teeth that hurt.
-The pain only lasts between 2-5 seconds on the first bite of flavor for the first time in hours, after that I don't feel it at all.

Reply Flag this Discussion

1 Replies:

  • Enter parotid salivary gland in Google Images, and see if it lines up with your areas of pain.I'm suspicious because you say there's anticipatory pain. That lines up nicely with the fact that we begin to salivate BEFORE we eat / drink. A small (okay, tiny) 'stone' in the parotid duct can prevent the saliva from exiting the gland easily and can cause abrupt pain. Think of it like a kidney stone but in your face, ow!Hope this is helpful. The docs who treat this can be dentists, or ear-nose-throat specialists, or some primary care docs.
    Ankhorite 8 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.