Discussions By Condition: Mental conditions

Getting professional help

Posted In: Mental conditions 1 Replies
  • Posted By: marioTweleve
  • June 23, 2008
  • 02:47 PM

Hi, I've been looking into getting help with a mental issue i have with forming sexual relationships with my partner. I'm not comfortable with talking about it here, but i have been convinced to see a professional about this issue.

However i have no idea what type of help i should be seeking. Who should i talk to? Should i be looking to contact a counselor, psychiatrist, psychologist, social worker... Do i need to find someone who specialises in what i want to talk about?
If anyones had experience with counseling and can tell me how it works that would be great.


Reply Flag this Discussion

1 Replies:

  • You've probably already found a therapist. There are many who can help you...a clinical social worker, a psychologist, a marriage and family counselor, a psychiatrist, are some of the trained professionals.You have a right to ask the therapist if your problem with sexual relations is one that he or she deals with or is comfortable with. And once you start seeing your therapist, jump right in with your problem. That's what you pay for!You also have a right to ask for a male or famale, your preference. Good Luck. Marionstar
    marionstar 228 Replies
    • August 13, 2008
    • 11:02 PM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.