Discussions By Condition: Mental conditions

deployed with us army, intermitten explosive disorder, please help

Posted In: Mental conditions 3 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • April 1, 2006
  • 09:12 AM

hi there
i am deployed with the united states army. and i have been diagnosed with intermitten explosive disorder. and now that i look back on my life on events i thought normal i realize it has happened to me all the time. i am currently 21 years old. just the other day was my last "episode". me and my best buddy were goofing off and the next thing i knew i was in a complete rage my other friend who was there said i put a knife to my best friends throat and was going to cut him he said he saw it in my eyes. luckily before i did do any cutting i was punched and knocked out. being in iraq there is weapons and knives everywhere. these experiences have happened in the past also but not nearly as many times till i was deployed. i am also a past cutter. i need professional advice from a civilian doctor, psychologist, pyschologist, on what i should do. they say thet are debating on discharging me. i am truly afraid of what i might do and i cant control it nearly as much as i could before i joined. please help

Reply Flag this Discussion

3 Replies:

  • I have been given anti-depressant (Welbutrin - bupropion) and Xanax. It works well. Another guy I know who had it really bad received Paxil and says it made a huge difference in his life. You really need to seek a Psychiatrist not a Psychologist, and preferably a specialty in Psycho-pharrmacology. A Psychologist is not an MD, a Psychiatrist is, and therefore can prescribe meds. In civilian life, this is a reall job ender and promotion killer. Good Luck.
    Anonymous 42789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I agree a psychologist is not a psychiatrist. Psychologists refrain from prescribing medication and primarily prescribe therapy. A psychiatrist does both. I am glad the medications are helping but I really hope you get the opportunity to get more help. I am sure that being in Iraq makes it difficult but when you get home please talk to a doctor who is qualified to both prescribe medication and offer therapy. I hope all is well with you. Good luck.
    Smurphgirl 7 Replies Flag this Response
  • Sweetie, see both. You call Tricare and it will ask if you are having a mental health emergency. You say "Yes" and they will get you a referral right away. You want counseling and medication. They go hand in hand. See if there is a medical group in your area (civilian) where there are both psychiatrists and psychologists working together. I got approval in 1 day for a drug and alcohol rehab that medical had been giving me a very hard time about. My thoughts are truely with you.
    Anonymous 42789 Replies
    • October 16, 2007
    • 01:17 AM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.