Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

Was the hospital wrong???

Posted In: Medical Stories 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • August 25, 2008
  • 07:32 PM

When I came home from work Friday night, my husband came to me and told me he had a knot on his jaw and that it hurt. So I told him, already knowing he has bad teeth, that we should probaly see a dentist the following week. He said ok and that was that. He awoke Saturday and his jaw had swelled to the size of a golfball and he was in a lot of pain...he told me he still needed to go in to work but he would get off early and he wanted to go to the hospital. He took some advil and went to work. I picked him up and the end of his shift and took him to our local hospital. We were seen right away and the doctor came in looked at him, and said well he has a abscess. That was it, he gave his a prescription for vicodin and an antibiotic and said he a dentist in a couple of days. He then told us there was one other thing he could do...I thought he would drain it but no, he said he could give him a shot of lidacane in his jaw that would take care of the pain for 8-12 hours. My husband told him anything he could do to get him out of pain would be fine. He did that and we went home. About 4 in the morning, my husband wakes me up in a panic, I look over and his jaw looks like a softball is hanging out of it, he is beginning to have problems breathing and he cant swallow. I rush him back to the hospital where I was told that the doctor on call was not a dentist and there was nothing they could do but try to find an oral surgeon in another town. About 4 hours later, my husband was transferred to another hospital where he had to undergo emergency surgery and was put on a ventilator due to the size of the abscess it had all but cut off his airway. He stayed in ICU for the days on a ventilator to allow for a good portion of the swelling to go down and was sent home 2 days later. I feel the hospital was wrong and that they should have transferred him saturday when it was a golf ball and maybe my husband would not have had to stay on a ventilator or in ICU for so many days. Saturday at the hospital, we were in and out in less than an hour and I feel that if they took the time maybe run some test a lot of the stress we had to go through would not have happened so I am just asking for some opinons...any help or advice would be appreciated

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.