Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

Sulfur Allergy

Posted In: Medical Stories 2 Replies
  • Posted By: leisumar
  • February 8, 2007
  • 01:48 AM

I have not been able to find much info about sulfur allergy on the net. Well, here is my story, I am sorry of I ramble.

About 5 years ago I had a UTI and was given Bactrim to cure it. After taking 3 doses (as prescribed) I was sore all over my body. I felt as if I had been beaten from head to toe. I was also running a fever. I stopped taking the meds and it took a month or longer to get out of my system.

About a year ago, I started working in a hospital. After we went "Latex Free", we started using purple Nitrile gloves. A few months after using the Nitrile gloves, my right arm started to hurt. I could not lift my arm more than 6 inches or my bone felt as if it was going to break. I thought it was bursitis. Then my knees became sore to bend and walk up and down stairs, again, I said it was because of sports in high school and weight gain. Finally, my fingers and wrists became very sore and I was planning a trip to the doc to be checked for arthritis. A friend told me to use glove liners and then I googled "What is Nitrile" and came up with the answer that Nitrile is vulcanized using, you guessed it, SULFUR.

I spoke with my manager and I was given special PVC gloves and I no longer have that problem, except...............

I was using an in-shower body lotion when, after 3 days, my knees started hurting again. I quickly stopped using the product and the symptoms went away.

Now, the info I have found about Sulfur allergies all indicate another allergy and not specifically to sulfur. I am putting Sulfur at the top of my "Stay Away From" list.

I hope this helps someone else!

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

  • I too am allergic to sulfur . Thanks for alerting us to the gloves!! Just wanted to add, shell fish , wine and some other foods have it in them....Also some of the joint meds/supplements have it too. I think it's the glucosimine, thats made from the shell fish.
    Anonymous 42789 Replies
    • February 8, 2007
    • 00:59 PM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • I was 16 and had a UTI. I was put on Bactrim. Within 24 hours contacted the Dr.s office to explain that this was not working. I felt like I had been hit by a truck, fever, vomiting, lots of pain. Doctor told me I was overreacting, prescribed something to force the Bactrim to stay in my system. Well I developed fever blisters all over my body and went into shock. My family rushed me to the hospital, where they discovered my bone marrow had shut down and I was not producing any more blood cells. They did many tests including a spinal tap to discover what was going on. They finally discovered I was allergic to the sulfur in Bactrim.They put me in seclusion and flushed my system of the drug. It took a few weeks but I got through it. A year later I went back into the hospital for identical symptoms but I had not been taking any medicines. The doctors said my bone marrow had shut down again, and wrote it up as a relapse of the original ailment.I healed luckily without a bone marrow transplant.I've never had another episode of that kind since.
    Anonymous 42789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.