Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

Need help regarding symptoms

Posted In: Medical Stories 5 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • February 17, 2007
  • 04:30 PM

Hey all,
I developed a rash on the small of my back, where my uniform belt and pants sit. I am a law enforcement student and our pants have a "grip line" to hold our shirts in which is rubbery. I assume it's from rubbing on it, but I can't say for certain. It is on the left side of the small of my back. A day or so later, the lymph node in my groin on the left side of my pelvic girdle swelled up to about two fingers across. I went to the doctor and she said it wasn't a hernia but it is more likely a lymph node fighting an infection.

I failed to tell her about the rash, most likely because she didn't ask. My question is, could it be the rash thats causing the swollen lymph node in my pelvis(it's about 4 inches away from the penis)? Or is it something else I should be worried about. A friend said it might be Syphillis, but I have only had sex with two girls. One is my gf and she was a virgin, and the other was almost a year ago....any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Reply Flag this Discussion

5 Replies:

  • No help? Anyone? I'm sure it's nothing to be concerned about but I need to know. The rash looks like it's getting better, it is a little smaller and only hurts if I scratch it and put alot of pressure on it. Anyone???
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 18, 2007
    • 09:07 PM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • It sounds like you've got a rash from the clothing, but the lymph gland complicates matters -could be shingles, with a rash there - does it hurt, or itch ? cos shingles HURTS. Your 'friend' knows nothing about syphillis - and is scaring you the way some people like telling urban legends about murderers. If either the lymph node or the rash don't clear up, go back to doc - lymph nodes can also swell in allergic reactions - so could be connected. By the way - you catch sexual diseases from having unprotected sex - maybe think about learning to love latex, and wear a condom, even if you think someone is a virgin. And have yourself checked for STD's after each partner - seriously, there's too many things we can catch from sex these days and many don't show any real symptoms in men. The good news, it doesn't sound like you have one from those symptoms. All the best.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 20, 2007
    • 02:04 PM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • Shingles is not easy to get. First of all how old are u? Most people that get shingles are OLD. Geez. work in a nursing home and you will know this. Have you had chicken pox, if so you probably don't have shingles. Your rash is more than likely from where you clothes gather. For god sake. As for your penis problem if it gets worse go to your Doctor. If he/she don't find anything wrong...don't worry about it. OHHH heat rashes are common. Good luck in your new job.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 25, 2007
    • 11:42 PM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • Please don't spread misinformation. According to Mayo Clinic: "Anyone who's had chickenpox may develop shingles. If your immune system doesn't destroy the entire virus during the initial infection, the remaining virus can enter your nervous system and lie hidden for years. Eventually, it may reactivate and travel along nerve pathways to your skin — producing shingles." While it is prevalent among older people, it is not completely limited to the elderly. I suggest you call your doctor, explain that when you were there before you forgot to mention the rash. Ask if it could have activated the lymph node and if so, do you need to come in. Likely, it's from the rubbing of your pants/belt. Apply some Benadryl cream if it's itchy. An allergic reaction will react quickly to Benadryl, a rub rash might not. Also, Eucerin Calming Spray or Cream is good. If your doctor concurs that it is probably from your uniform, maybe wearing a gauze square held in place by medical tape (or the self-sticking kind) over the rash would help, or even just a band-aid over the area; anything that would keep it from rubbing and allow the traumatised skin to heal. I'm not a doctor. I definitely suggest that if it bothers you, call your doctor first and ask about it. Better to be safe, you know.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • February 28, 2007
    • 03:22 PM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • actually, the only way to get shingles is if you HAVE had chickenpox in the past! although most people are older than 50 that get shingles, there are cases of younger adults also getting shingles. If by now you have not gotten blisters, and pain, it is probably not shingles. However, you can have pain, with no blisters as well.
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.

Signs of a Psoriasis Flare

Know the five types of psoriasis and how to spot flares.

How Diabetes Medications Affect Your Appetite

Newer diabetes treatments can suppress appetite and aid weight loss.

What to Do For Dry Mouth

Try these tips to get your salivary glands back into action.

The Painkiller – Constipation Connection

Constipation is a common side effect of opioid and narcotic pain medicines.

9 Signs of Sensitive Skin

Is it sensitive skin or something else?