Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

Does it have a name?

Posted In: Medical Stories 2 Replies
  • Posted By: ashleym23
  • June 14, 2008
  • 05:00 AM

Hello, I have posted a blog on here before "4 years of problems and still no results" it talked about my daughters breathing problems. Well the other day we seen a doctor who is the first doctor in almost 4 years who told me what's wrong. He said that under your tongue the bones are shaped like a bowl. My daughters are like a upside down bowl. This causes her tongue to be pushed up and causes air not to flow very well and has caused her to have sleep apnea which she will be put on a cpap for. He said that she mite need surgery to reconstruct the bones in the in the mouth. In hearing all of this I never asked if there is a name for this condition. I would like to read and learn more about it but don't know if it actually has a name. When I read about sleep apnea it talks about reconstructing the jaw and different things but never said a name. So if there is anyone out there who could help it would be great. ashely

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

  • Ashely, I can just say that the bone is called os hyoideum os hyoid bone. I've never heard that it could be misshaped. Interesting. Good luck!!
    Felsen 510 Replies Flag this Response
  • Could just be a birth defect; ask the doctor. In the meantime, the local schools are required to give her speech services if you want her to have it.
    Monsterlove 2921 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.