I'll do my best to keep my long story short.
To start, I'm 23 yrs old, 155lbs, and in good shape. Back in August, I began having substantial stomach pains 1-2 hrs after eating a meal. I soon noticed blood in my stool - mostly bright red, occasionally maroon, but always within the stool and not 'coating' it. At the time, I was working a very stressful & mind-numbing job that I suspect had taken its toll on me. Late in August, I visited a gatsro who diagnosed me with IBS and prescribed a simple fiber supplement & probiotic pill. In October, I left my job - my main stressor - in search of new work.The post-meal pains diminished shortly thereafter, but my bowel habits & stool appearance never quite went back to normal.
Over the course of the next few months, I began experiencing other strange symptoms that remain persistent til this day:
- Tarry, discolored stool that rarely comes out in one solid piece. Blood still makes an appearance on occasion.
- Trouble passing stool. No pain, but I never feel properly emptied.
- Red, greasy eyes and excessive eyelash growth / loss
- Substantial hair thinning on my head (with hair thickening elsewhere on my body)
- Forgetfulness, much moreso than usual. It's as though my short-term / working memory is malfunctioning. Sometimes, I have a hard time focusing on simple pleasures like reading.
- Clumsyness. Nothing major, but I feel slightly off-balance on my feet - almost like there's this barely noticeable wavering sensation when I stand or walk.
- Muscle twitches, mostly in the limbs but occasionally near the chest
- Numbing & tingling sensations in my limbs, seemingly brought on or exacerbated by certain positions & movements. Strangest of all, every so often for reasons I can't understand, I feel a brief tingling sensation in / near my heart.
- Much more intense urges to use the bathroom
Rare & seemingly random cases of bleeding gums after brushing my teeth (side note: I have otherwise great dental health - brush in the morning & night, no cavities, etc)
- Weaker & more easily fatigued by exercise. The difference in my endurance & muscle pains after brief exertion is noticeable compared to last year.
- Much harder time waking up in the morning. I never seem to get a refreshing sleep, no matter how long the sleep session.
I still follow the gastro's prescription and do my best to maintain a healthy diet. However, I have been wondering for quite some time if this is another issue entirely... celiac disease or a thyroid issue, maybe even depression. Currently, my gastro still thinks it's IBS. I guess my main questions are:
Has anyone else experienced these symptoms? Did they coincide with each other or happen at different times?
Do you think this is a case of IBS or something else entirely?
What have you done & what can I do to alleviate or prevent these symptoms?