Discussions By Condition: Medical Stories

Alcohol as an antibacterium?

Posted In: Medical Stories 1 Replies
  • Posted By: mick lawson
  • October 12, 2006
  • 04:17 PM

I was diagnosed with meningicocal septicemia twenty years ago, I had it for six weeks before it was diagnosed. I am sure that my alcoholic state was a contributary factor that enabled me to survive for such along period this is registered on my medical records. As a fish worker I have often contracted fish poisoning through being stabbed by fins and by filleting knives, the poisoning leaves a red line up the arm and a swelling in the armpit. Instead of taking antibiotics I/we can rid ourselves of this infection by simply drinking a bottle of whisky (70cl), it seems to kill the bacteria leaving us to work whilst suffering nothing more than a sore head. Could there be any research concerning the use of alcohol as an antibacterium. I would be interested to read any replys.

Reply Flag this Discussion

1 Replies:

  • the use of alcohol as an antibacterium. I would be interested to read any replys. Hi, I know that Alcohol that is over 40% alcohol in volume kills the bacteria in sore throat and food poisening because a friend of mine who is a building worker has been using alcohol as medicine. He does not take any strong spirit otherwise. I am not have any medical knowledge and I would have used it as first aid, if it is quick and easy than finding a doctor. Hope some doctors/reserchers will read your thread and give an answer. Happy fishing. Britt
    britwe 1 Replies
    • October 13, 2006
    • 09:58 AM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.