Discussions By Condition: Medical Errors

Tragic ending to a misdiagnosis -sleep apnea, kidney transplant and a mothers heartbr

Posted In: Medical Errors 0 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • February 21, 2008
  • 02:06 PM

My son died at the age of 26 Oct 7, 2007 from a misdiagnosis. Robert had a kidney transplant at the age of 6. He had that kidney for almost 20 years and that is just a wonderful story in itself. But what happened in Sept 07 is tragic. He began seeing things, talking to himself, afraid , noised bothered him. After being in a hospital away from home for 2 days-we decided we needed to get him to his home hospital. A doctor intervened and he was transported to mental health facility. We knew he would not put himself in a hospital because he was unaware of his condition-he could not make good choices -THIS WAS NOT MY SON !!Long story short----the mental facility did not watch his kidney function--and Robert ended up in the ER -due to my insistance that he be put on IV fluids and oxygen. His father saw him Friday evening and reported to me that Robert looked the best he had seen him all week (Rob had even signed the form allowing us to have information about his treatment). When I saw him Saturday afternoon- he was lethargic, slumped over in a wheel chair and was having difficulty breathing. The aid who brought him to the room said "they were trying to get a hold of a doctor about his breathing". TRYING ??? I insisted he be taken to the ER . I found out that he had had a shot of haladol d that friday nite after visitation from his dad. I know everything about my sons life except that week in the mental health facilty--from his first breath to his last- BECAUSE I AM HIS MOTHER AND I HAD TO HAVE THE BREATHING MACHINE TURNED OFF FOR MY SON.All because he had sleep apnea and was misdiagnosed and not cared for properly in a mental facility. His kidney stopped working--Robert knew about having to keep well hydrated --had he been in his right mind - he would have known to drink plenty of water---I called every morning at the mental health facility to make sure they knew he needed to drink--I almost felt as if they were saying----"whatever". I called his social worker the Monday morning after his admittance to the hospital and asked him what happened-his response was " we are still trying to figure out what happened." And I have had no response from them. In fact I have to get a court order just to see the medical records. The records from his hospital stay I already have---there is some secret here----My pledge to Roberts life is THAT NO ONE SHOULD HAVE TO GO THRU THIS AGAIN. How many people actually know what goes on in a facility like that? How many mothers have to go thru what I did- with much regret----thinking I was helping my son- when actually I was giving him a death sentence. My emails are missourigal54@yahoo.com and vkiswan@msn.com. If you have an idea that might help me-I would appreciate it ! This in itself is a story of sleep apnea, power of medical, kidney transplant, mid diagnosis and a spiritual side that I have to belive in . Vicky

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.