Discussions By Condition: Medical Errors

Misread MRI, what can i do?

Posted In: Medical Errors 0 Replies
  • Posted By: rm1980
  • September 20, 2010
  • 06:51 AM

I was released from an ER 3 days ago, unable to walk, i can barely move left side of my body and i have numbness/severe loss of sensation throughout my body. I had a previous accident which resulted in c4-c6 being fused. I have had many MRI's since the accident 4 years ago so i know that i have extra disk herniating in my neck due to the stress the metal plate is causing. So, onto my current issues. I arrived in ER with new, sudden onset symptoms in the right side of my body that i have never had. I had to argue with the staff to treat me, all the while in immense pain, because they kept repeating this is old injury goto your regular doctor, even though he sent me to ER. Finally the excuse changed and they only due MRI's in hospital for spinal cord injuries or head injuries, again frustrated i advised them it is a spinal cord injury and finally they do a new MRI. The radiologist that read my MRI took only 18 minutes after i left the MRI machine to read, fully evaluate and compare the new MRI to one done 3 years prior. (the MRI's were email'd or faxed to him he was not in building) However, his report was MRI looks same, stable, when compared to previous MRI. First off the previous MRI had a huge list of findings none of which he mentioned or documented, as i have had in other reports/comparisons. He claims no change, again i have 4 previous MRI's that claim different. I know i am not an expect when reading MRI's but i have learned how to find and compare levels of prior ones to each other. The MRI he compared to shows a small central disk herniation impeding the spinal sac and cord. 6mm is exact measure from first MRI, the latest is about 13mm which is huge, the herniation shows it compressing my spinal cord in some way from c3-c8 compressing it to look like a over exaggerated kidney bead. A child can point these differences out. I am going to have them re-read. However i have workers comp so i have to take some action against doctor or hospital, by my lawyers advice to show i contest these outlandish results. I dont want monies form hospital, i just want my Results read by a good doctor and this issue resolved so no on else has to deal with it... Any suggestions?

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.