Discussions By Condition: Liver conditions

Could my dad have been poisoned?

Posted In: Liver conditions 1 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • September 3, 2006
  • 01:15 PM

Does anyone know if there is a type of poisoning that could have been masked by hepatitis symptoms? My father was married to an insane woman. He got very ill, doctors said he had hepatitis. He did have a case 25 years earlier, but when she left, he never had another symptom. Dr's were amazed it just disappeared. After her departure, we found numerous books and web inquiries about thallium. Please tell me more.

Reply Flag this Discussion

1 Replies:

  • In its pure form, thallium is odorless and tasteless. It can also be found combined with other substances such as bromine, chlorine, fluorine, and iodine. When it's combined, it appears colorless-to-white or yellow. How might I be exposed to thallium?Eating food contaminated with thallium may be a major source of exposure for most people.Breathing workplace air in industries that use thallium.Smoking cigarettes.Living near hazardous waste sites containing thallium (may result in higher than normal exposures).Touching or, for children, eating soil contaminated with thallium.Breathing low levels in air and water.Studies in people who ingested large amounts of thallium over a short time have reported vomiting, diarrhea, temporary hair loss, and effects on the nervous system, lungs, heart, liver, and kidneys. It has caused death. It is not known what the effects are from ingesting low levels of thallium over a long time. Is there a medical test to show whether I've been exposed to thallium?There are medical tests available to measure levels of thallium in urine and hair. In addition, thallium can also be measured in blood; however, this is not a good indicator of exposure since thallium only stays in blood a very short time.These tests require special equipment that is not usually available in most doctor's offices. In addition, these tests cannot determine if adverse health effects will occur from the exposure to thallium. Where can I get more information?ATSDR can tell you where to find occupational and environmental health clinics. Their specialists can recognize, evaluate, and treat illnesses resulting from exposure to hazardous substances. You can also contact your community or state health or environmental quality department if you have any more questions or concerns.For more information, contact:Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry Division of Toxicology1600 Clifton Road NE, Mailstop F-32Atlanta, GA 30333 Phone: 1-888-42-ATSDR (
    dreamfactory 5 Replies
    • November 29, 2008
    • 11:49 AM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.