At least for the past three years my nails have been progressively deteriorating in terms of their appearance. All nails have significant pitting. Additionally my right thumb tends to have horizontal ridges (single or double) that cycle every 6 months or so. The other nails have a much smoother ridge in the same spot along the nail. Despite this, the nails seem very strong.
Here are some images:
I am 32 straight male. I eat a wide verity of healthy food that I prepare for myself, at regular intervals. I exercise about 4 or 5 times a week. I drink water regularly.
I have been taking a multi-vitamin daily for the last 6 months.
I have a fairly stressful desk job and work about 50+ hours a week.
A dermatologist had no idea why my nails would be this way. He asked if I had any history of psoriasis, which is negative, personally or in my family.
1. I was slightly anemic about a year ago due to a chronic anal fissure. It has improved significantly in last year.
2. Certain food causes bloating, eg. onions, and standard ones like beans, cabbage, etc.
2. I often become fuzzy headed during the day, eg. I can't focus on a 1 on 1 conversation.
3. When I was a kid I scraped some of my nail surfaces with a knife (i know, kids do dumb stuff)
4. I have not seen this nail behavior in my family.
5. I have traveled to many developing countries.
Any leads on where I should look for some explanation for this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.
Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?