My middle child is a daughter who will be 6 in September. I have been working with the dr to try and figure out what is wrong with her, but she has many symptoms, and I don't know if they are unrelated or not.
Her symptoms include:
* heart murmur (innocent, but present since birth)
* small for her age (37 lbs & 41 in tall. She's only grown 1 in. this past yr.)
* thin hair that hasn't grown past her shoulders
* green stool, pretty much since birth...sometimes loose, sometimes not
* showed low blood sugar in recent lab work
* gets wart type bumps on her elbows and knees from time to time
* hands and feet are either extremely cold or clammy & sweaty
She has a sister who is 2 yrs older and a brother who is 2 yrs younger than her. They are both normal in height and weight. Actually, my 5yr old daughter is not much taller than my 3 yr old son. Neither of my other children have any problems related to my 5 yr old. Growing up, I've experienced my hands and feet being extremely cold and swelling when they warm up. I also had a lot of stomach problems that I was never able to get a diagnosis for. As I've grown, they have subsided. They included a rapid weight loss when I was around 19, loss of appetite, throwing up non-digested food at night, and stomach cramps. I also get stomach cramps when I eat cereal or pancakes in the morning, but not if I eat them later in the day. The drs ruled out IBS back when I was young, but I lost my insurance and never did figure out what the problem was. I am normal height and weight, as is my husband...and we are both healthy.
I was trying to tell myself that she may just be small but healthy...but the green stool still scares me. What type of specialist should I ask my dr to recommend? She has given me the number to a nutritionalist/dietician. Would that be the first step?
Thanks in advance for any insight. I'd hate to have my daughter suffer when a simple diagnosis could have her living healthy.