Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

What on earth does 'abnormally thick walls of the cervix' mean?

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 6 Replies
  • Posted By: froggyface66
  • May 24, 2009
  • 08:08 AM

This was the result of an ultrasound I had. My doctor has never heard of such a result, therefore cannot give me an indication of what this might mean. Has anyone heard of this? Can anyone help?

Reply Flag this Discussion

6 Replies:

  • I have no idea ... but I do wonder if the doctor contacted the imaging department or facility to clarify the basis of that determination and why it was worded in that fashion. Contacting the imaging expert that interpreted this and so forth, by requesting that he/she describe it more concretely may help. Also, supplying the basis for stating it in this fashion by supplying the concise and detailed medical findings which led the interpretor to concluding the use of this wording or terminology as it was applied. Perhaps your doctor has already done this? It doesn't hurt to ask. BTW, you may be able to call yourself and ask as well; the imaging facility should be able to supply you with the report(s) and the films at no charge (at least in my case), especially if you go up there in person. (Just in case your doctor can't conclude upon receipt of this information, which may already be the case; you can take the report/films to an OB/GYN or another, as applicable.)
    neurotransmissing 145 Replies Flag this Response
  • The recommendation from imaging was see a gynaecologist, so she is getting me to see one. But thats a fair time away...
    froggyface66 4 Replies Flag this Response
  • Okay, what is your age and what symptoms were you experiencing that provoked your doctor to obtain the imaging study? A radiological note of abnormally thick walls of the cervix is simply a different way to state cervical dysplasia or cervical hyperplasia. When we see a thickening of the uterine or cervical wall, it can in some instances be an early indication of changes in cell structure that lead to cancerous formation, but just as often can represent mere genetic variation. It's no cause for immediate concern, but you do need to follow up with the specialist for further evaluation. You'll be fine. Best regards, J Cottle, MD
    JCottleMD 580 Replies Flag this Response
  • That's good, to hear you are already on your way. If they felt this to be of a chronic or serious nature they would get you in ASAP. Also, I suspect other tests or blood work are not indicating the possibility of cancer. And especially, as Dr. Cottle states ... and being the expert that he is, is most reassuring in gaining feedback, in my personal opinion. What a wonderful 'chance opportunity' that the timing and opportunity was right and you have received feedback from an expert M.D.! Best of luck to you, and keep posting about how things go. :)
    neurotransmissing 145 Replies Flag this Response
  • I am 24 years old and had menstual problems that went from a few days of spotting, to getting worse to over 2 weeks, making it virtually non stop bleeding in 6 months. Together with some pains in the back and abdominals (which the doctor said were probably unrelated. Thanks for your response.Regards,
    froggyface66 4 Replies Flag this Response
  • I recently had a ct scan for an unrelated problem and they picked up the same thing and told me to see a gyn asap. I went to her and they did a pap and nothing came up abnormal. I am now having some other issues and we did a pelvic ultrasound so I will know soon what that issue is. But after some research on the internet I have found anywhere from cervical cancer to endometriosis.I suggest that you call the gyn and get in immediately. I don't mean to scare you but it is not supposed to be that way.
    Anonymous 42789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.