Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

what is this ?!?!

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 6 Replies
  • Posted By: Flowmaster
  • May 22, 2007
  • 11:41 PM

Hello i am currently a freshman in highschool and last year our P.E. teacher told us to begin running and right when i got up my left hand and leg including my eye tensed up my eye closed and my left hand curled up and my toes on my foot curled up...this is still happening and it has been a year since it first happend but everytime i get up or move too fast from standing or sitting, it happens its very brief about 6 seconds but its very embarrassing especially in P.E. i plan to play football and this cant happen anymore does anyone have any idea what this is ? i have seen my doctor and she told me it sounds like a form of a seizure and to go see a neurologist but id like to see if any of you know what this is any help would greatly be appreciated i am 15 years old and i don't understand why this is happening to me.

Reply Flag this Discussion

6 Replies:

  • Seizures can cause involuntary changes in body movement or function, sensation, awareness, or behavior. A seizure can last from a few seconds to status epilepticus, a continuous seizure that will not stop without intervention. Seizure is often associated with a sudden and involuntary contraction of a group of muscles. However, a seizure can also be as subtle as marching numbness of a part of body, a brief loss of memory, sparkling or flashes, sensing an unpleasant odor, a strange epigastric sensation or a sensation of fear. Therefore seizures are typically classified as motor, sensory, autonomic, emotional or cognitive.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SeizureIt sounds very much like a seizure. I suggest that you follow the doctor's advice and find a good neurologist. I wish you the best
    Anonymous 42789 Replies Flag this Response
  • thanks for the response id liike to know if i will have to take a medication for this to go away or is there a treatment for it im really getting tired of this thanks
    Flowmaster 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • I could not tell you for sure because I am not a doctor. It all depends on its severity and the type of seizure that you are having. There are many different kinds. Check out:http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/types_seizures.htmlIt has some good information that may give you an idea.From what I've seen, doctor's don't really like to give out antiepileptic medication unless the seizures are severe enough and that there is a possibility that you could hurt yourself during a seizure. The medications can sometimes have some negative sideeffects, so they are usually given if really needed. However, take my information with a grain of salt. I am not a qualified doctor. You would need to see a doctor to be evaluated.
    Anonymous 42789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi Flowmaster,Your questions are very worthwhile, but are better posed to a neurologist who has the ability to do a complete examination.The good news is that you can fairly consistently recreate the problem. That means the doctor can do an EEG (stick electrical sensors to your head, and take a graph of the electrical activity inside your brain--this does nothing TO you, only senses what the electrical activity of your brain) when you have this reaction. If it is a seizure problem, they ought to be able to see it, and localize it (figure out where it is in your brain) rather efficiently. There are medications for some seizure problems. But they will want to try to figure out what is causing you to have those "events" before they would be able to say if your problem is something that medicine would be appropriate for.Also, if you plan on playing football, they are likely to require you to get a doctor to say that you can play, considering this left-side thing that your P.E. teacher has undoubtedly already witnessed. So you will need a doctor to look into it for you.Putting stuff like this off can never help the problem go away. :rolleyes: But I do suggest that the best defence against embarrassment for this kind of thing, is to make sure people know that it will happen, and for you to make some kind of joke out of it, before they can. It is hard for people to put someone down for something they have already joked about. Even in their minds.Have you told your parents about this thing?Best,Shula
    Anonymous 42789 Replies Flag this Response
  • thanks so much for the replies and yes my parents know about this and scheduling a neurologist appointment very soon. as you were saying that the doctors normally dont like giving medication for it how else is this going to be treated and am i stuck with this for the rest of my life ? i start driving soon and i obviously wont be allowed to with this going on.thanks
    Flowmaster 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • Hi again.Even if this turns out to be a life-long thing, if it is controlled by meds, you will be allowed to drive. But it could turn out to be some kind of toxic reaction, or a sign of some kind of chemical imbalance (like low b-vitamins or something) which could be fixed and not be life-long.No need to decide that your life is ruined. :o Give the docs a chance to figure out what is going on, and what they can do for you.Best,Shula
    Anonymous 42789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.