Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

vaginal hematoma after D&C

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 2 Replies
  • Posted By: odysseus
  • April 28, 2007
  • 00:28 PM

My wife, who is now 39 years old, quickly became pregnant at the beginning of this year, a fetal heartbeat was seen eight weeks into the pregnancy, yet four days later, no fetal heartbeat could be detected (in late February 2007). A week after the miscarriage was detected, her ob/gyn physician here in Austin performed a D&C. All tissue tests came back normal. However, the bleeding did not subside after a few days, and after a week, she had another gynecological examination which turned up a few "atypical cells" (which I found strange given that the post-D&C path tests were normal). Her ob/gyn told us that in some cases the bleeding does take a while to subside, but a month after the D&C, the bleeding had not abated, and an ultrasound performed at that point revealed a 5cm mass in the uterus and ovarian cysts -- which caused the ob/gyn to diagnose a partial molar pregnancy. However, tissue tests and an HCG test did not confirm this diagnosis, but rather a hematoma (clot). At this point, my wife's ob/gyn suggested a second D&C, but we wanted to wait and see whether the clot might pass on its own.
At this point, she is still bleeding on and off nearly 2 months after the D&C. I suggested that we get a second opinion, and the second ob/gyn observed a closed cervix, and a uterus that has not returned to its pre-pregnancy size: this ob/gyn firmly believes that a second D&C is indicated because she feels that there is little chance that a remaining clot can leave the uterus. My wife has had a test of the clotting factors in her blood and the test was negative.

We spoke with the first ob/gyn again yesterday, and he wants to schedule another ultrasound and a D&C. However, he added a new risk to the equation: if the clot or whatever is in the uterus is too big or difficult to pass through the cervix, they're going to want to do the equivalent of a C-Section, i.e. make an incision in the uterus and take out the mass.

We seem to be experiencing all the complications of pregnancy without pregnancy.

My question is: what sort of additional information can we obtain to help us move forward? Is it possible that there is another, general problem of a non-gynecological origin that could be at fault here? We find it very strange that there have been such prolonged complications after what is supposed to be a very routine procedure. Naturally, we're really anxious for my wife to have a period again and to start trying to get pregnant again.

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

  • I am currently going through this very same situation. I am in Atlanta. What ended up happening? They aren't sure if the should do a second D&C and I had a Massive Subchorionic Hematoma while I was pregnant. I lost the baby at 9 weeks. If you have a moment - please tell me what ended up happening.
    Anonymous 42789 Replies Flag this Response
  • I'm going through the same situation at the moment, too. CrystalKitty, what happened w/ you? Why were they not sure a second D&C would be a good idea? Please reply if you have a moment, as I'm very concerned.
    Anonymous 42789 Replies
    • August 24, 2008
    • 05:23 PM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.