Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Thought I had HIV for over a year.....

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 1 Replies
  • Posted By: darshdarsh
  • January 23, 2010
  • 04:51 PM

In December of 2008 I went on vacation to Thailand with a buddy of mine. I had sex with 4 sex workers. I used a condom with all of them. About the 4th or 5th day of my trip I woke up in the middle of the night in cold sweats and I was running a fever and I had horrible diarrhea. I had a sore throat and a dry cough. Also, over the next couple of days I noticed that I developed oral thrush. During that time I had been binge drinking for about 4 days straight and I had also been eating lots of stuff off of the food carts on the street. I was hoping it was just gastro or something like that. My fever and diarrhea went away in about 3 days but I still had the cough, sore throat and thrush. The cough and sore throat went away in about 2 weeks. The thrush stayed for almost 2 months (but it wasn't as bad after the initial fever). In about mid January I developed EXTREME fatigue, so bad I almost felt sick. Also on my right wrist I developed very faint rash like bumps that you could barely see unless I scratched them. As soon as the rash went away in about a week the fatigue was gone too. At some point during this I noticed that on my right eyelid I developed something that looked like is may have been a molluscum. Its very small and its still there to this day (barley noticable since its between 2 eyelashes). In March exactly 3 months after my possible exposure I got a HIV blood test since I was convinced I had it. It came back negative but I wasnt convinced. So i finally bought one of those FDA approved Home Access HIV testing systems. I did the test and sent it to the lab. I just called about a hour ago and my results were negative. Does anyone have ANY idea what I may have had or what I might still have. Could Hepatitis or some other STD cause those symptoms? Please help me out guys...

Reply Flag this Discussion

1 Replies:

  • You definitely need to see a doctor who specializes in tropical medicine. You may have caught for example a parasite from the food. Or it could be something transmitted by mosquitoes. There is an awful lot of tropical diseases - I did a course in clinical microbiology, and symptoms you are describing are pretty common, but they are very generic, can be anything. Also, the symptoms you are experiencing may be unrelated to each other. In addition, you should have yourself tested for all common STDs, syphilis etc. Embarrassing, but necessary.
    Anonymous 42789 Replies
    • January 23, 2010
    • 09:46 PM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.