Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Swollen glands and stiff joints

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 2 Replies
  • Posted By: hbeachcasa
  • April 22, 2008
  • 05:52 PM

About 10 days ago the gland in my neck started swelling. A couple of days later I started getting lumps on the back of my head. Thay don't hurt, but I have three uniform lumps. Two on right side, and one on the left. They aren't ingrown hairs, or cysts because there is no pain, redness, or warmth to them. A couple days after the lumps on my head, my knees started getting stiff. Like I had done a million squats. Within a day, the backs of my elbows, wrists, ankles, neck, and finger and toe joints seem to have all gotten stiff and uncomfortable. When I fully extend my arms it feels like I threw them out playing ball. Fingers and toes just feel swollen and stiff to close. Visually I look fine, just have the lumps in my neck and head, but physically I feel like I got hit by a truck.
I had some left over pennecillin so I've been taking that for three days now, and still no relief. If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appriciate the input.

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

  • Even though penicillin is a broad spectrum antibiotic, there is absolutely NO reason for you to be taking it right now. That would mean that you have not previously finished a prescription for whatever you had previously, which is BAD. This kind of behavior is leading to the various antibiotic resistant mutations of bacteria that are screwing us over in hospitals and will be really messing things up in the future. My advice to you is STOP taking those antibiotics and throw them away. You don't even know if you have a bacterial infection AND what kind the bacteria is, (such as gram negative or postive or virulence factors, etc) Which you may be doing absoultely nothing or more harm than good to your body. Since pencillin is a broad spectrum anitbiotic is will probably kill some of the GOOD bacteria in your body as well...Go set up a doctors appointment with a local doctor and have them do some blood work and x-rays. Have them check out the bumps on your head. If they provide no answers, I would suggest going to a rhuematologist. I don't mean to sound bitchy, but do not EVER take antibiotics with out being directed by a doctor, always finish your prescription, and never hand them out. If you do not finish your antibiotics you can not be totally sure if you killed all the bacteria that is harming you in the first place. In that case only the resistant kind have survived and when they strike back you'll be sicker than ever, and then we will have a new super bacteria to deal with. Which can spread that antibiotic resistance factor to other bacteria...and so forth. That's why we're having troubles with bugs such as MRSA-methicillin resistant staphylococcus aures...methicillin is a very strong anitibiotic in its self, and when something as prevelent as s. aureus is resistant to it, then we have big problems. You have to make sure you KNOW what you're dealing with before taking any medicine, or at least have a pretty good idea.
    k333ly 59 Replies Flag this Response
  • get a test for lyme too.Blaze? Anyone?
    k333ly 59 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.