Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Started doing drugs to stop episodes

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 1 Replies
  • Posted By: a_tempted_fate
  • November 29, 2006
  • 07:35 PM

I can't get a good diagnoses. I have episodes of severe nausea and vomiting and pain. It gets so bad I must be hospitialized, because of dehydration due to all the vomiting. An episode can last anywhere from a day to 20 days. Doctors tell me I have post tramatic stress disorder. So I take antidepressants and anti-anxiety pills such as Ativan. But I still go into episodes even with the medication. I can't work, i can barely eat...I need help. I started smokin pot to stop pain and nausea and keep me from going into an episode. It works but i can't live my life high.

Reply Flag this Discussion

1 Replies:

  • As someone who had PTSD as a teenager, I can tell you that for PTSD, you need to be seeing a psychologist, not any sort of medical doctor. A good psychiatrist who is willing to do talk therapy with you as well as prescribe meds might be ok, but I think you would be best off with a psychologist who can help you work through the trauma, and who can teach you coping techniques that don't involve changing your body's chemistry. Drugs (antidepressants or pot or anything else) can only mask the symptoms of PTSD, and will not fix you in the long run. You need to find a therapist whom you trust, who can help you work through the emotional and psychological (not chemical or biological) reasons behind your PTSD. I don't know if this will be any help for you or not, but I always found chamomile tea very helpful. It settled my stomach and helped me relax -- maybe it would help you as well. Good luck with everything. ~Ryot
    Anonymous 42789 Replies
    • November 29, 2006
    • 08:58 PM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.