Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

severe eye infection which has not been healed with antibiotic for many months

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 4 Replies
  • Posted By: alexandz
  • June 18, 2009
  • 03:25 AM

I have severe eye infection which did not go away during many months.
I have already seen two eye surgeons, but they did not help.
(Lots of various antibiotic creams, etc.)
Could somebody recommend me the eye surgeon who specialises on eye infection and is located in Sydney (Australia) area?

Reply Flag this Discussion

4 Replies:

  • Well, I certainly can't guide you to the best physician in the land down under, but I can tell you that the infection needs to be promptly cultured to determine its nature and appropriate treatment to follow. The fact that it's been present for such an extended time might also suggest the need to look at some other lab values, like your thyroid function. Is the eye producing discharge associated with bacterial infection? It also needs to be determined whether it's an infection or whether it's something like chemosis, that can produce discharge and other symptoms in the absence of bacterial invasion. It's important to seek prompt evaluation because corneal involvement can produce a rather dramatic condition that could make matters far worse. Best regards, J Cottle, MD
    JCottleMD 580 Replies Flag this Response
  • Dear J Cottle,Thank you very much for the response.As I understand by "that the infection needs to be promptly cultured to determine its nature",you meant that I need to ask the doctor to take the tests/analyses.Would you be able to tell more details about what kind of tests/analyses I need to ask?Thanks you very much,AlexZ.
    alexandz 2 Replies Flag this Response
  • This is not something that you need to instruct a physician about and they are well familiar with the process of sending a culture swab to the lab to determine what specific bacteria will grow from it. This is necessary in cases of resistant infections to determine what particular antibiotic or combination of antibiotics to use in killing the bacteria. I would, however, be somewhat skeptical that this is a simple bacterial infection in that several months duration would have produced a good deal of complications by now. The very first action you need to take is obtaining an appointment to see an opthalmologist rather than a general physician or clinic nurse practitioner. The opthalmologist will certainly know how to proceed in addressing your symptoms. This is also not something that you should attend to leisurely. Inflammation of a serious nature can result in blindness or loss of the eye altogether in some instances. Since I haven't the benefit of direct evaluation, it warrants immediate attention.Best regards, J Cottle, MD
    JCottleMD 580 Replies Flag this Response
  • Dear J Cottle,Thank you very much.Kindest regards,AlexZ
    alexandz 2 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.

Signs of a Psoriasis Flare

Know the five types of psoriasis and how to spot flares.

How Diabetes Medications Affect Your Appetite

Newer diabetes treatments can suppress appetite and aid weight loss.

What to Do For Dry Mouth

Try these tips to get your salivary glands back into action.

The Painkiller – Constipation Connection

Constipation is a common side effect of opioid and narcotic pain medicines.

9 Signs of Sensitive Skin

Is it sensitive skin or something else?