I'm 36-year old male and have had recurring E. Coli UTI infections for over 4 years. Have done numerous comprehensive blood tests, urinalyses and culture, cystoscope, X-ray/CT/ultrasound over kidney/bladder/scrotum. The cystoscope operation in 2007 caused the infection spread over to the scrotum which was not swelling/painful before. The UTI symptoms are mostly mild, probably because I'm on anti-biotic. I've seen two general urologists and currently on the long wait list to see a specialist.
I have been doing home urinalyses daily for about 1 month and taking detailed records. My recent observations are that:
1) while I'm on antibiotic, the urinary infection mostly goes away but I can still detect very small trace of microscropic blood in the urine.
2) even if I'm (almost) clear of urinary infection and on antibiotic, doing the same tests on semen sample show moderate amount of white cells, more blood cells, and higher pH value, comparing to the urinary sample taken right before the semen. There can be some pain/swelling in the scrotum at the same time as well. I can always feel a harden spot, which can grow or shrink, in the scrotum since my cystoscope operation (but ultrasound scan reveals nothing, doctors said it is symptom of infection.)
3) if I'm off antibiotic for just about 48 hours, the UTI infections comes back.
- Why anti-biotic can treat the UTI but not scrotum infection? I have been taking Augmentine, Ciprofloxin and Cefradime. Previously I had Macrobid and Nitrofurantoin as well. I read from Wikipedia and other website that Nitrofurantoin only works for urinary infection as it has no concetration in the blood; yet my doctor and pharmacist both thought that it would work for my scrotum.
- Does this pattern of infection indicate some kind of blockage in my tubings? Does the persistence of microscopic blood in the urine/semen indicative of anything or just the results of infection?
I have minor genetic ganitourological defect which has been surgically corrected 18 years ago. also a minor megauretha but the urologists ruled out those defects as the causes.
I have tried treatments like acupuncture, Chinese medicine, or even keep my cell phone away; but none seems helping.
No history of other big health problems.
THANKS for ANY HELP in advance!