My friend and I have been to central Borneo for a jungle trekking trip of over 3 weeks. On the way back to Holland, he started to express signs of fever (including headache), and reported to be extremely tired. At this stage, doctors checked for malaria and dengue, both negative.
2 days later, everything was fine again, for a period of 3 or 4 days, when suddenly the fever returned for 2 days again. After this period, the fever was gone again for 3 or 4 days, but he still had a general feeling of malaise.
after this stage, the fever returned again, and is still there for 4 days already. We have been seeing a doctor today where bloodsamples have been taken again. They have found that again malaria is negative, and the liver shows some signs of damage (like in hepatitis). They will check for a set of diseases in the coming week.
Now some things that may be important for the diagnosis:
1) The fever fluctuates heavily, sometimes it's close to 37, and then close to 39.5, but never really high.
2) He does not feel very ill or tired, but stays in bed most of the time
3) we both had a infected (painful) lymfenode and vessel AFTER we got back from the trip on different spots however..
4) we have not been bitten a lot by insects, but massively by leeches though
5) my friend has had obstipation days before the first fever symptoms, but no diahrrea or other stomach problems ever since.
I hope someone recognizs the pattern of symptoms and give us a hint to what can be causing these symptoms.
Thanks a lot,
Frank jacobs, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Recognize the risks associated with Crohn’s disease.
Did you know that one in six US adults has high cholesterol?