Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

recently developed intractable anemia

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 2 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • October 18, 2006
  • 03:54 PM

Wondering what to do next...dx with iron-deficiency anemia first presented May 2005; hem level 9.6. I had a hysterectomy in April of 2000. GI bleeding has been ruled out through upper endoscopy, colonoscopy and anoscopy; all normal. I do have chronic GERD for which I take Prilosec OTC 20mg daily but no upper GI bleeding on endoscopy. Neg test for celiac/sprue. Liver/kidney function normal. I have tried various oral iron supplementation with minimal or no effect; I eat red meat. Hemoglobin was at 8.0 when I became dehydrated due to flu and became very dizzy and disoriented so I received 3 units whole blood at that time (Mar 2006). Hem. back up to 11.5; back down to 7.6 in June 2006. Rec'd 200mg iron sucrose IV July/Aug of 2006 (5 doses, one per week). Hem. back up to 11.2. serum iron up from 2 to 80.

Now it is going down again; have seen hematologist but I feel like I would like to resolve what is causing the anemia instead of just continuing to receive transfusions or IV. Do I just live with this or should i push for more diagnostic testing? What else can they test for? THanks,

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

  • I've heard that antacids including Prilosec block iron absorption. Perhaps that's part of the issue?
    Anonymous 42789 Replies
    • February 8, 2007
    • 02:57 AM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • Red meat is not the best source for iron. Please try to eat more leafy green vegies like chard, kale, collards, spinach. Also, try to get some organic blackstrap molasses (an acquired taste but an iron powerhouse!) The problem with most oral supplements is they aren't easily absorbed . Also, iron is not the only nutrient to help anemia. Folic acid, copper, and B6, B12 are also important... The very best supplement I have just recently found is called IntraMax and is sold only to healthcare practitioners. Ask your doctor about this and visit www.druckerlabs.com to find a practitioner from whom you can purchase this. Best of luck.DOM
    acuann 3080 Replies
    • February 8, 2007
    • 03:15 AM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.