Background: 23 year old male. 5'11"/240lbs. Pretty healthy guy aside from being overweight, but he's a big-boned football player looking guy. Not extremely muscular but not all fat. Had asthma as a kid and into early/mid teens. Patient had never gone through any major surgery.
Problem: Woke up with bad stomach pains. It did not happen suddenly but had been progressing a bit over the previous week. Eventually got bad enough to make him go to the closest hospital. Doctor diagnosed the patient with appendicitis. About 15-20 hours after being admitted to the hospital, a surgeon performed a laparoscopic appendectomy. The appendix had not ruptured.
Surgeon said patient came out of the surgery ok. Patient woke up from anesthesia (not sure what kind) without problem.
About 6 hours after the surgery the patient started complaining of problems. I'll try to list them in order of how they progressed during the 10-12 hours after the first complaints started:
- tightness in the chest
- breathing was becoming more difficult
- feeling slightly dizzy
- trying to sit up was difficult and increased dizzyness
- breathing became even more difficult
- started losing color
- stomach was harder than normal to the touch
- body became colder to the touch, but patient did not want anything covering him, he would remove anything covering him, exposing his naked body to everyone including his mother and wife in the room.
- patient lost control of bowel function twice while laying in bed
- at about this point, when patient tried to sit up in the bed, he got slightly up then would crash back down on the pillow
- hospital technician could not get a pulse oximeter reading from the patient's finger. This was approximately 9 hours after the complaints started or 15 hours from the appendectomy surgery.
Unfortunately I don't know the specific vitals measurements during this time. Blood pressure had dropped though I don't know how much. Apparently the other vitals were within normal range however the symptoms above kept worsening.
My question to anyone is what things would you be checking while seeing these post-surgery problems? What tests would you run? Could some of these symptoms be normal post-surgery complaints from a young guy?