Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Possibly mold, doctor won't listen, Help!

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 5 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • March 3, 2009
  • 06:40 PM

In September of last year, my fiance and I noticed mold growing in the ceiling of our Apartment. It took them until November to take care of it entirely, but we're wondering if they did at all. They pulled out a bunch of moldy insulation but didn't even bother to check the rafters of the roof (they also didn't replace the insulation), and my fiance has been extremely, extremely sick since then. She's had symptoms resembling sinus infections, irritable bowel syndrome, and asthma. She's also having trouble concentrating in class, has had some personality changes, as well as changes in her sex drive, which has almost disappeared. She's gone to her doctor SEVERAL time for the past six months or so, and they always say the same thing-she has a sinus infection and they give her antibiotics and nasal spray but nothing seems to work. We've tried everything from what the doctor said to over-the-counter decongestants and allergy medicines. I have similar symptoms, but mine are no where near as extreme and I'm worried that my fiance is highly allergic to the mold. Her doctor won't listen to us. What do we do? We're running out of options and there's a new leak in our ceiling that may turn to mold, since our landlord takes months to take care of any problems. HELP!

Reply Flag this Discussion

5 Replies:

  • Opalais- still there? It's been 1.5 years since your post... I had some potentially similar symptoms which I thought might be due to mold: drippy throat, chest discomfort, feeling like I wasn't present, and in my case also persistent ringworm fungus infections as well as skin pain that felt like splinters. Like you, there was a leak in the ceiling and plenty of mold in the attic fiberglass (although none visible in the room). I moved to a different room and felt about 80% better within days (the skin pain persists though). Are you still living in that apartment?
    Walker12 30 Replies
    • December 4, 2010
    • 04:13 AM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • In September of last year, my fiance and I noticed mold growing in the ceiling of our Apartment. It took them until November to take care of it entirely, but we're wondering if they did at all. They pulled out a bunch of moldy insulation but didn't even bother to check the rafters of the roof (they also didn't replace the insulation), and my fiance has been extremely, extremely sick since then. She's had symptoms resembling sinus infections, irritable bowel syndrome, and asthma. She's also having trouble concentrating in class, has had some personality changes, as well as changes in her sex drive, which has almost disappeared. She's gone to her doctor SEVERAL time for the past six months or so, and they always say the same thing-she has a sinus infection and they give her antibiotics and nasal spray but nothing seems to work. We've tried everything from what the doctor said to over-the-counter decongestants and allergy medicines. I have similar symptoms, but mine are no where near as extreme and I'm worried that my fiance is highly allergic to the mold. Her doctor won't listen to us. What do we do? We're running out of options and there's a new leak in our ceiling that may turn to mold, since our landlord takes months to take care of any problems. HELP!Every landlord has to respond to the board of health in the city of which you live in. Call your city hall and ask who you need to contact to fix unhealthy living conditions in your apartment. Your landlord might very well have to repay you for your medical bills.
    Anonymous 42789 Replies
    • December 5, 2010
    • 05:08 PM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • spray the rafters with H2O2 or other commercial mold spray. make sure you wear a respirator. do not use bleach! bleach will kill the mold but not the spores, it will actually help the spores thrive. put a high-quality furnace filter in so it's not recirculating spores. rent an ozone machine from a carpet cleaning place or rental place. they only cost about $50 for 24 hours. you have to leave the house and make sure no pets are inside and also that no one will come inside. the ozone machine will change the molecular composition of the air which will kill anything inside. i have used them twice before on mold remediation jobs and they are fantastic! you have to turn them up to the highest setting because too low won't work...it will be more like a purifier. oh, and maybe find a different doctor for your fiance. i have mold allergies and it is not something any doctor should be indifferent about.
    Anonymous 42789 Replies
    • December 6, 2010
    • 00:43 AM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • I highly recommend finding another place to live. Your fiance should get well. Don't let her live in a state of sickness and say it is the landlord's fault.Put some eucalyptus oil where she can inhale it each night, for example on each end of the pillow. Avoid sugar.
    Anonymous 42789 Replies
    • December 6, 2010
    • 02:56 PM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • If you have a mold problem as serious as you suspect then the worst possible thing you can do is rub oil on your chest at night lmao. Oh my god this guy has given you horrible advice. PLEASE MOVE OUT RIGHT AWAY. Mold is a very serious problem that can lead to permanent neurological damage and eventually death. It certainly sounds given the moldy insulation your apartment is contaminated and once any dwelling it is extremely difficult and very expensive to remove mold. I doubt your landlord will do anything and you can ask your doctor for a blood test(I believe) to confirm if you have mold poisoning or not; if he doesn't I hope you find a new doctor. Good luck I highly recommend finding another place to live. Your fiance should get well. Don't let her live in a state of sickness and say it is the landlord's fault.Put some eucalyptus oil where she can inhale it each night, for example on each end of the pillow. Avoid sugar.
    Anonymous 42789 Replies
    • December 22, 2010
    • 10:09 AM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.