Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Pleeeaaassee help

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 3 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • December 8, 2007
  • 11:39 PM

Please somene let me know whats wrong with me..I'm a 31 year old female.... For the past 41/2 years i have been experiencing severe pain and paresthesias in my body if i eat anything containing sugar or fat. My 5 hour glucose tolerance test was normal and non of the 15 specialist i've seen does not know what wrong with me. I also get severe pain in my eyes if i eat fruits or juices or anything high on the glycemic index like carrot, pumkin, corn. I dont smoke or drink alcohol and my body has not been under any form of intense stress.
I can't eat any meat containing fat or even olive oil, every thing i eat is grilled and my diet consist of only boil rice and spinach/ broc. My diet is so basic it is begining to affect my body. I have been checked for every disease imaginable and all my test came back negative. Could some one give me a possible reason for this so that i can tell my doctors to have further test done. Thank you

Reply Flag this Discussion

3 Replies:

  • may be chronic pancreatitis or hyperlipoproteinemia... thats all I can think of. Hope it helps
    Anonymous 42789 Replies
    • December 10, 2007
    • 00:02 AM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • Wow, I'm sorry your doctors have not been able to ID the cause. How soon after ingestion do you have pain? Where is the pain? Does it seem like the pain is in the bone or muscles? It seems like the problem might be due to a mishap in your metabolism (ie: an enzyme deficiency). The pathways to metabolize fat and sugar cross at a certain point and thus need some of the same enzymes. I am not a doctor so this is only a guess based on a little bit of biochem background. B/c enzyme deficiencies can often be difficult to identify it is not crazy to think that 15 specialists have not recognized it. I am not sure what type of doctor would be good to see if you look into this. Perhaps a geneticist??? The key is that the doctor should have a good understanding of metabolism, which means s/he has a detailed understanding of biochemistry. An idea that is less conventional (but may be a last resort option) is to find out who teaches biochemistry at a local medical school. Perhaps s/he is a physician in town or maybe not--If not, you can always see if they will give their opinion via email. It might be worth a shot. Best of luck!
    lsoroosh 51 Replies
    • December 10, 2007
    • 08:22 AM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • Is your blood work normal, particularly HDL's and LDL's?. Has your liver and kidneys been checked? Portal hypertension? Look up glucose intolerance.
    rad-skw 1605 Replies
    • December 11, 2007
    • 11:56 AM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.