Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Please Help. Troubles reading my blood test result?

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 2 Replies
  • Posted By: burnchicken
  • December 16, 2007
  • 08:33 PM

Please Help. Troubles reading my blood test result?

I am 21-year-old female. I consider myself relatively healthy for most of my life until last month I started to develop this bad headache and shortness of breath on exertion. Then I went to my doctor and she gave me some Gravol for the headache. A week later I went back to her office with a more intense headache, then final did a blood test on me. On that same night, she called me and advised me to go to the hospital fast. She sent me an email with the result of my blood test. (and of course all those numbers means nothing to me) I know that this is serious due to the fact that she called me in the middle of the night and ask me to go to the hospital.

The results of my blood test are:
Hb = 42
WBC = 10.0
Platlets = 492
Ferritin = 3

After I went to the hospital, they did some more blood test on me and diagnosed me with severe iron deficiency anemia. They gave me 6 units of blood before they agree to discharge me. Before I left, they told me that my haemoglobin was 101. (again the numbers means absolutely nothing to me) After doing some research on the internet, I final knew that hemoglobin is one of the main component for blood to carry oxygen in the body. And the normal haemoglobin level for female is 12-16 g/dL, but the haemoglobin shown on my result is 42. I just don’t get the result of my blood test. I really want to know how bad my anemia was, and is there any other potential problem that is going on with me? Please help.

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

  • Hello, I work in a medical lab, from what I can tell the normal range for feritin is 12-60 ng/mL for your age/sex and yours was at a 3. That is significantly low. The normal range for the platelet count is 177-406 for your age/sex. Did the hospital give you any follow up information? Did they refer you to any specialists? I would go to an internal medicine doctor and get checked up and have further tests ran to make sure there are not more serious issues going on. Did you have any virus, or heavy periods...ect prior to this?~Stacky
    stacky 52 Replies
    • December 16, 2007
    • 09:47 PM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • The hospital booked me up to do an endoscopy and sees a GI specialist few days later. I hope everything will come out fine and there is nothing too serious going on.
    burnchicken 3 Replies
    • December 17, 2007
    • 04:33 PM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.