Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Painful Sex! Help!

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 1 Replies
  • Posted By: AlisonR1012
  • June 28, 2007
  • 04:24 PM

I've been having deep vaginal pain for the past few weeks. I have been in a monogamous relationship for about 7 months and have not had this problem until recently. I was taking a birth control pill for about 4 months and stopped a few days ago in case this had anything to do with causing the problem. I went to my gynecologist and she did not find anything wrong. She suggested that I somehow injured a muscle along the vaginal wall since the pain is in a localized spot and that I should take motrin before sex and try to direct my partner to the opposite side. I have little faith that this will work and I wish my doctor could actually tell me what's wrong and how to fix it. I also have chronic hives from an autoimmune condition and wonder if there's any relationship. My boyfriend is moving out of the country in 2 weeks and I just want to have good sex with him while he's still here. Please help!

Reply Flag this Discussion

1 Replies:

  • I don't think such skepticism about using ibuprofen prior to sex is justified; I would guess that it might help a fair bit, and if it doesn;t you can always try Aleve or Tylenol, but Ibuprofen has the nice benefit of being a strong anti-inflammatory agent and so should minimize the pain the best. Furthermore if hives is a concern perhaps a non-sedative antihistamine such as over the counter loratadine(Claritin) might help. If those don't work I would definitely suggest a return visit to the OBGYN as if there is a tear in the vaginal wall I'd assume even if it is a small tear, and thus he/she didn't notice it upon examination, frequent sex might worsen the situation.Teddy
    randomness 16 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.