Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Painful Intercourse

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 2 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • December 3, 2008
  • 07:27 PM

I have had the symptoms of recurrent vaginal thrush for over 2 years. I've been given a course of canistan-like tablets, one per wk for 4 weeks. Which cleared it up for about 10 days, then it came back. It comes and goes every 5 or 6 weeks and lasts for about a week each time. I have had my contraceptive pill changed 5 times to see if that was the problem to no avail. It has no direct link to stress either.

But the main problem I would love an answer for is:

For the past 2 years solidly, I have found it often too painful to have intercourse with my boyfriend. We have been together 3 years, and have had no other partners in that time. We have both had STI checks and are both clean and normal. There is always sufficient lubrication before penetration occurs, and I am always fully relaxed, yet it is still very painful.
It is like a friction burn pain, especially on my left hand vaginal wall. Changing position helps for a few seconds, then the pain returns. The burning pain continues post-coitus for about half an hour, then vanishes entirely. It happens every time we try to make love, at all stages of my menstrual cycle, which is regular and normal.

Please help! Thank you

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

  • Thrush can do this to you. Also, hormonal changes during different parts of your menstrual cycle can cause this. The fancy medical word for this is vulvodynia. Try here: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vulvodynia/DS00159 Probiotics may help you with the thrush issue. Also, cut out white flour, sugar and starchy foods from your diet. It may help.
    aquila 1263 Replies
    • December 4, 2008
    • 08:45 PM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • You're not alone: I've got the same problem and have had it for years (I'm in my late 20s). I now have many other symptoms too, which I'm sure are related...I don't know if that's true of others with vulvodynia/vestibulodynia/vulvar vestibulitis/whatever you want to call it. My understanding is that it's a relatively new field so it's hard to find someone who's heard of it and hard to find treatments, but both are out there. (Unfortunately, while I found a great specialist, none of the treatments worked for me....)So:1. You're not the only person with this problem. My old specialist (I moved) said he'd had patients from 12 to 70-something with it. It was nice to hear that I wasn't a freak.2. This might not at all apply to you, but it did to me, so I thought I'd mention it: If you're feeling guilty about some of the things you can't do with your boyfriend, it might help to find a good therapist. Look for one who works with couples with sexual issues. Bring your boyfriend and make it a couples thing, to recognize his frustration in being limited sexually and having to see you go through the pain, even if you're both mostly going to therapy to deal with your issues. Also, if one of you has better health insurance you can see the doctor under that name and get the good insurance coverage.2. Look for a gyno doctor with experience dealing with pelvic pain and who's heard of the above diagnoses. Try university hospitals. Look online for hospitals with women's centers or sexual health centers, and ask about those buzzwords (pelvic pain, vulvodynia). Not pain management, which seems to be back pain and headaches and things like that. 3. I know this all sounds kind of...woo woo...but the following are things I wish I'd tried years ago. Don't know if they would've been useful, but hey...--Serious treatment, including both drugs and diet, for candida (yeast), and given it a real try, like several months. --Anti-inflammatory diet (mostly vegan, organic, no sugar...look it up), again for a few months at least. --Oh, and you should probably go off the birth control, which both of the above types of treatments seem to say is a problem. Not that going off it did anything for me.--Thyroid testing...not sure why, but it seems to be involved in mine somehow. Either way, I do recommend going off sugar, alcohol, white starches, dried fruits, and juices. I've had some yeast issues too and I'm sure they're related, and whether or not you think you need to follow most of the anti-yeast regimen (look online--some are stricter than others and some people seem to disagree with each other, so take from those sites what you will) I'm sure the above have contributed to my issues. I also have a bunch of food intolerances now that I didn't have before all this, so yeah, it might be worth paying attention to diet. All this dietary stuff sounds lousy, and it kind of is, but like I said, I wish I'd given it a real shot years ago before things got as bad as they are now...though whatever you do or don't do I hope you're never in this position!By the way, my then-boyfriend married me amid all of this, and he's been an incredible support. I'm glad you've got a good one too, and good luck!
    so over it 5 Replies
    • December 7, 2008
    • 02:51 AM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.