Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Pain stiffness in back of pelvis-trouble walking

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 2 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • October 5, 2007
  • 06:23 PM

HELP! I have pain and stiffness in the back of my pelvis-sacroiliac area. It is worse in the mornings andI can only walk for about 20 minutes. The pain stops when I sit down. I can not stand on my toes or on one leg, either, because I will fall over. My doctor took blood tests for inflamation, rheumatoid arthritis and muscle enzymes. He said they were normal. He had an MRI taken of my lumbar spine and neck. It showed multi-level degenerative disc disease, and facet disease and foriminal encroachment (moderate). He said it was not bad enough to cause my symptoms in my legs. Please tell me what else could be wrong? Should I have an MRI of my pelvis? I was lying down with the previous MRI? Would a standing image show something more?

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

  • Have you been to a pain managetment specialist?? Sounds like you could have something similar to what I had. Sacroiliac Joint dysfunction/inflamation. One shot in the right place and I was/am pain free from that for 4 yrs. If you are having a lot of pain from the facet joints the pain sp can help you there too. With ddd, sitting is not always a good option, it adds more pressure to the spine. There is a lot of new info check out www.spineuniverse.com .I have heard the standing MRIs do show more, cause when your laying down, there isn't compression on the disks and nerves. You may have more going on than what your dr is seeing. "Not bad enough" depends on who is doing the suffering, I would seek another opinion. How is your mattress?? Do you use a donut pillow to sit on?? Have you been told to be sure and keep your hips higher than your knees, that helps a lot.You may need a pillow in your car too, and most seats slant lower in the back and raise your knees. Best wishes~~Dee
    Anonymous 42789 Replies
    • October 8, 2007
    • 11:49 AM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • Yes, go to a pain clinic. They can inject cortisone and pain meds into the S.I joint with a fluoroscopy guided needle. Sounds grim, but it does work. Also, so does yoga. The joints run up and down right at the base of the spine and connecting to the pelvis. It is not a flexible joint, but the bursa still act up. And you can get arthritis there. Good posture and sitting correctly help also.
    rad-skw 1605 Replies
    • October 11, 2007
    • 11:14 AM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.