Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

No Relief From Knee Pain

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 1 Replies
  • Posted By: kepn11
  • August 5, 2009
  • 11:09 PM

3 and a half months ago I slipped on a wet floor and fell ******n my knee. It hurt for about a week after, and there was a big bruise, but then the pain went away for awhile, and just the back of my knee was swollen. Then about a month later, the pain returned. I started with my GP who first sent me for x-rays and gave me an anti-inflammatory to try. No fractures and the anti-inflammatory did nothing. She referred me to an orthopedic, who thought it was just a strain, and gave me a different anti-inflammatory, which also did nothing. I then went on vacation and when I came back I saw a different orthopedic. He sent me for an MRI and gave me another new anti-inflammatory which again did nothing. The MRI showed a slight medial meniscus tear and either a partially off-track patella or arthritis (I am 19 years old). He sent me for PT for 3 weeks. My has gotten stronger from the PT but the pain has not gotten any better. He gave me a 4th anti-inflammatory to try, which, surprise, has done nothing again. I also started 3 more weeks of PT. My therapist today said that it shouldn't still be hurting as much as it is. I see the doctor again next week, and he said that he wants to try a cortisone shot, which I am unsure of because in my case it would only mask the pain for some time but the injury would still be there and the pain would return for the start of school. Because I can walk ok on it, he doesn't think I need surgery. Shouldn't I be feeling some relief by now? My knee has not gotten any better and over the 3 and a half months has gotten quite worse. What should the next logical step be for it? I am so sick of the pain.

Reply Flag this Discussion

1 Replies:

  • What kind of pain is it burning, sharp, dull ect. Depending on the type of pain I would suggest just looking into it being RSD (reflex sympathetic dystrophy), it is nerve damage caused by injury. The doctor I would suggest seeing is either a pain specialist or an Anesthesiologist as they seem to be the ones I have found to know whats going on when x-rays, MRI's ect. all come back normal. If there is any possibility you think RSD could be it find a doctor really quick, sooner the diagnosis and treatment the more chance you have of recovering easier and it not spreading. I hope you find answers to your pain, I know all to well what its like going on with pain and no answers. I got my RSD when I was 16 but no one knew what it was so it stayed in my foot for 4 years then went full body, then took another half a year before someone gave me the diagnosis. I wish you all the best and hope your pain resolves soon. Niki
    Anonymous 42789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.