Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

no diagnosis - have to wait 3 months for exam

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 2 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • June 19, 2007
  • 10:43 PM

I have been to the Dr 3 or 4 times now with regard to a number of issues. I don't know if they relate to one another or not. I am 50 but don't believe I am menopausal yet - no real symptoms of that. I have had regular periods all my life with no problems then suddenly I had a couple of periods which started and stopped and started again and had a discharge with blood through it between. That settled and I arranged to have a smear - one was due anyway. The Dr said I had a ridged cervex and they would check it out - but not till October. I have had discomfort low down in my abdomen for about 3 months now - like a mild period pain which is always there. I have started to have a really smelly, watery discharge which sometimes has a little blood in it. I also have loads of gas - very embarrassing! Actually when I think about it my bowels have been a bit funny too - sometimes difficult to go and sometimes pretty loose but not to any great extreme as yet. Has anyone got a clue what's going on? I'm not happy about leaving this lingering on for another 3 months with no sign of improvement.

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

  • It could be your gyn would check you for pelvic inflammatory disease. Symptoms of Pelvic Inflammatory Disease include foul-smelling vaginal discharge, cramping or persistent abdominal pain, abdominal tenderness with pressure or jarring, such as walking, coughing, jumping, or intercourse, and abdominal pain with bowel movement or urination, abnormal vaginal discharge or spotting, vaginal bleeding at times other than the menstrual period, fever, chills, fatigue or aching, loss of appetite, nausea and vomiting. If pelvis abscess, would need to be drained. The diagnosis of PID can be difficult to make. If symptoms such as lower abdominal pain are present, a physical exam may be done to determine its location, check for abnormal vaginal or cervical discharge and for evidence of cervical chlamydial infection or gonorrhea. Other tests, such as a sonogram, endometrial biopsy, or laparoscopy may be used to distinguish between PID and other serious problems that may mimic PID. Because cultures of specimens from the upper genital tract are difficult to obtain and because multiple organisms may be responsible for an episode of PID, the treatment is to prescribe at least two antibiotics that are effective against a wide range of infectious agents. You should ask you GYN about this.
    Anonymous 42789 Replies Flag this Response
  • Could ovarian problems cause some of these symptoms?
    rad-skw 1605 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.