Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Need help with chest, back and wrist pain

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 2 Replies
  • Posted By: fasteddie155
  • December 7, 2008
  • 02:04 PM

Ok here goes ;
I have had pain in my wrists and cant grip bags of crisps to open them etc and the doctor put down to arthirits, i said i also had pain in my lower back and the base of my neck and he said one thing at a time and gave me diclofenac and co codamol. This has not changed me just masked the problem. I am now having pain under my ribs mainly on the left and this goes through to my body to my shoulder bones and my neck seems to lock in place.
It seems to hurt more at night, i am in loads on pain and tried to turn my self over in bed but my wrists hurt also and i could not support my weight to turn over.
I also have pulpitations and i get pain in my arms and last week my knee felt like i had twisted it.
I have head a couple of light headed times and really fed up with feeling like this.
I am a male, a non smoker, and dont drink and have plenty of exercise and in my mid 30's
Can anybody help me on the way to recovery.:(:(

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

  • Has your GP tested your blood? In the early stages of arthritis, it sometimes doesn't show up right away. If its auto-immune, it also is sometimes very hard to diagnose what type. What a Dr generally does is keep tabs on your symptoms, its like a puzzle. If its not arthritis, there are many overlapping syndromes you can be diagnosed with that dont show up in blood work or Xray/Mri/Cat scan. I would ask the Dr to set up an appointment with a rheumatologist Arthritis: Blood Tests to Diagnose ArthritisIf your doctor suspects you have arthritis, he or she may have your blood drawn to determine which type of arthritis you have. In people with osteoarthritis, blood tests are not usually abnormal, but with other types of arthritis, including rheumatoid arthritis, certain tests will help your doctor decide which type you have.This article reviews the different types of blood tests and markers used to diagnose arthritis and other inflammatory-related conditions.What Blood Markers Are Used to Diagnose Rheumatoid Arthritis?Rheumatoid factors are a variety of antibodies that are present in 70%-90% of people with rheumatoid arthritis (RA). A low level of rheumatoid factor can be found in people without RA or with other autoimmune disorders, however. In general, when no rheumatoid factor is present in someone with RA, the course of the disease is less severe. A new test for rheumatoid arthritis that measures levels of antibodies that bind citrulline modified proteins (anti-CCP) is more specific and tends to be only elevated in patients with rheumatoid arthritis or in patients about to develop rheumatoid arthritis. The presence of anti-CCP antibodies can be used to predict which patients will get more severe rheumatoid arthritis.Are There Tests to Determine Inflammation?Yes. The erythrocyte sedimentation rate (sed. rate or ESR) is an indication of the degree of inflammation in the body. It is actually a measurement of the speed with which red blood cells fall in a test tube of blood. When the inflammation in the blood goes up, these inflammatory substances attach to red blood cells and the cells fall faster. In healthy persons, the sed. rate is low and it climbs with inflammation. It doesn't point to any particular disease, but is a general indication of the amount of inflammation in the body. In lupus and polymyalgia rheumatica, the ESR often correlates with disease activity.C-reactive protein (CRP) also indicates the amount of inflammation present. It is thought to be a better test than the sed. rate. In patients with rheumatoid arthritis, if the CRP is high, it suggests that there truly is significant inflammation or injury in the body.Both CRP and ESR levels are used to monitor disease activity and how well someone is responding to treatment.What Signs Indicate Connective Tissue Disorders like Lupus?The ANA is a blood test that is used in the evaluation of possible lupus or other connective tissue disorders. When the ANA is positive, it indicates that someone may have an autoimmune disorder, but alone it can't make the diagnosis.The ANA profile is a series of tests consisting of an ANA and other related antibodies. This may be done if the ANA is found to be positive or possibly at the same time as the ANA. This profile helps look for diseases such as Sj√∂gren's syndrome, lupus and drug-induced lupus. I went through a whole wack of Dr's, specialists, and have had many diagnosises from Fibromyalgia to ME, was suggested Lyme, Lupus, that I was crazy etc I believe the Fibromyalgia part but many years later, I've now got Osteoarthritis/ Degenerative Disc Disease (Severe). This later diagnosis because the Dr's assumed that it was all Fibromyalgia. Good luck in your quest hon and keep us posted As EvErCat
    kitcat48 80 Replies
    • December 8, 2008
    • 10:00 AM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • thankyou for your help, the doctor said i had wear and tear arthritis which ever this is.Still having pain but will take the action suggested to help me.Thanks again
    fasteddie155 1 Replies
    • December 8, 2008
    • 10:22 PM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.