My mother-in-law was a healthy 49 year old (about 150lbs) woman up until a year ago.
Mid January 2010 she got the flu. About 2 weeks after that she started to experience this:
- Waking up out of a dead sleep by "jolts" through her arms and sometimes legs. The jolts come in waves and are very uncomfortable. They are a burning/tingling sensation just underneath the skins surface.
- After each wave of the "jolts" she experiences serious nausea, wretching, and diarreah.
- Frequently, but not always, she will experience extreme exhuastion along with these other other symptoms. Sometimes the exhaustion is so bad she can't walk.
- The "jolts" will subside if she walks around but come back as soon as she lays down and starts to sleep.
What we do know is that it is very cyclical. The jolts always start between 6-7am. The nausea doesn't go away regardless of whether she is sitting, or standing. Sometimes she will feel better after lunch but will ALWAYS feel better by 10pm.
- Also, we have ruled out environmental as she has experienced this in Nova Scotia (where we are from), Toronto, and Boston (We have been to the Lahey clinic looking for results).
Here are things that she did/happened that were a little different prior to when all this started.
- She went to a "jiggle gym". You sit/stand on a machine that vibrates you. She did not like this and did not go back.
- My husband and I returned from Queretaros, Mexico from a mission trip right before she was sick. Neither him or I got sick on the trip but thought maybe we brought something back?
So far she has seen multiple doctos (regular, gastro, general internal, homeopathic, nerologist, etc) and had many, many tests (blood work, xrays, urine tests, biopsy's, colonoscpy, etc) and everything has come back "normal". She has tried multiple prescriptions and nothing has worked. She went on a gluton free diet for 6 months because a doctor told her she had celiac disease. She does not and the diet didn't help. She has lost over 30 lbs and is down to 120 last we checked.
We are desparate and need help!