I posted about this back in September, but I still haven't figured it out, so I decided to try here again.
First, some background info. I'm a sixteen year old girl. I haven't eaten meat (including poultry and fish) in three years. I don't have any major health problems and there are no disorders that run in my family. I've had this problem since July 4th, so there's a lot of symptoms and info to it. The symptoms have changed over time, also. I think it'd be easiest if I made lists, because sometimes even I get confused from all of it.
Symptoms from July 4th to around the beginning of October:
- Constant nausea with no vomiting, though I felt very close to vomiting all the time. made worse with eating. surged when I needed to go to the bathroom.
- Bloated abdomen
- The area of skin above my right armpit where my collarbone ends was numb to the touch. The left side was only slightly numb.
- Pain on both sides of my collarbone and the underside of my jawbone when I applied pressure.
- Weight loss (about 12 pounds)
- Change in bowel movements (less frequently, difficulty going, feeling like I have to go then not having to when I try)
- Mild headaches. When I had a headache, sound didn't become painful for me, but just intensely frustrating. It's hard to describe.
- Supposed yellowing of the eyes, but I've dismissed this as nothing because my eyes have been slightly yellow for a very long time.
- Dry mouth, most of the time.
- Occasionally mixing up words and feeling like I can't string together a sentence.
With all of this, I went first to my normal doctor, who guessed I had Gilbert's Syndrome. He referred me to a gastroenterologist. She ruled out Gilert's Syndrome. She ordered a very large amount of bloodwork. No hepatitis, liver functioning normally, no anemia, no mono. Pretty much everything was clear. Except for two things- my bilirubins were outside of normal levels (I forgot the exact number) and my CO2 levels were at 13%. The doctor then sent me for a CAT scan, ultrasound, H. Pylori test, and some more bloodwork. Everything was normal. She told me to try and take Prilosec and come back in a few months.
Symptoms from November to now:
- Constant nausea, occasionally some burning or cramping in my lower abdomen, it feels like my intestines.
- Stomach gurgling and noises.
- Occasional acidic feeling in the back of my throat.
- I always feel the need to open and close my throat. It's hard to explain. I don't clear my throat, but just push a little.
- Difficulty swallowing or swallowing and feeling as if the food is sitting in my throat.
- I think the symptoms get worse before I get any other sort of virus or infection, like a cold.
I went back to the doctor. She told me that my bilirubins were back to normal and that I probably had a long lasting virus that cleared out of my system. She doesn't understand why I'm not feeling better. The next step is to order an upper endoscopy. With my symptoms now, I have some days where I feel almost normal, and some days where I can't even get out of bed because I feel so ill. The Prilosec I'm taking really isn't helping, so we don't think that I have acid reflux. No one has any ideas. I'm really tired of feeling like this, though. Sometimes I can't sleep, I'm afraid to be in the car for a long time because I'm afraid I'm going to vomit, I don't eat all the time, and it's just annoying.
Oh, I forgot. I gained back almost all of the weight I lost. And throughout this whole thing, I've never vomited. Sometimes I think I had two different problems, also because the symptoms are pretty unsimilar.
Thanks for any help you can give me. I'm sorry this is so long. (: