Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Lead ?

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 1 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • September 6, 2007
  • 07:28 PM

My son was born 4 weeks early, low birth weight (5lb 8oz), refusing to eat for almost 24 hrs and when he finally did he refused the bottle, had to be breast feed. Has NEVER slept through the night (max is about 5 hrs). For the first two years he was fussy, had stomache aches, vomiting, delayed speech. At 2 yrs old he was test for lead and his lead level was 9. This was 4 weeks after starting him, all of us, on a high calcium,high iron, etc... diet for suspected lead poisoning, so it probably was higher. We all had elevated lead level and probably had for some time including during my pregnancy. The Lead paint was found and "removed" His symptoms seemed to disappeared, Well except for the not sleeping. Doctor said that had become a (BAD) habit and would take time to break.
My son is now 14 year old and suffers from severe headaches, stomache aches, nausea, side/back pain, vomiting, sleep problems, moody (more than just being a teen). He has had bouts of these symptoms all his life, But the last 3-4 years it has become more frequent, almost weekly (last year he missed 80+ days of school). To the point where he has become lethargic and ends up at the ER were they put on an IV for dehydration and anti-nausea meds to stop the vomiting.
He has been tested for cushings, crohn's, thyroid, hepatitis, even drug use.
Test have shown enlarge liver, elevated liver enzymes, hyperinsulinism (455.4 ,2 hr test) with insulin spots deposit on the skin, his last (this year) lead test was 17 .
He has been diagnosed with ADD, ADHD and Depression. He has always been and still is in special ed and has been in school from the age of two, starting with speech therophy.
Resently found out all of the lead paint was not removed. It is in the windows, which we just started openning again about 3-4 years ago. Kept them closed except when lined and AC unit in them (paranoid mother?).
Doctors say his Lead levels are/ have not been high enough to be causing these symptoms and/ or any damage. And the levels are not a real concern because he is not under the age of six. "He is overweight and needs to cut carbs, but cutting carbs with hyperinslinism result in hypoglycemia." And "he is overweight because of the hyperinsulinism which he has because he is overweight". Feel a circle there?
He is on no medications, no drugs, very limited sweets and soda and is active.
Does anyone else think all of this is Lead related or have other ideas ?
Am I just being a paranoid mother ?

Reply Flag this Discussion

1 Replies:

  • How about no sweets except fruit and no soda at all. There are some nutritionists on this site that can give you advice. He should be getting plenty of carbs if he is eating whole grain-only bread and pasta. Re: paranoia...No you are not! Obviously there is something wrong with you kid. Has anyone ever mentioned anxiety? I just read a post about it.
    rad-skw 1605 Replies
    • September 7, 2007
    • 10:21 AM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.