Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

i'm well past puberty but my voice is high-pitched

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 3 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • November 1, 2007
  • 01:38 AM

I am an 18 year old male. I've hit all stages of puberty long ago. But yet, my voice is still the equivalent to a 10 year old's. The doctors tell me that my vocal cords didn't thicken like it's supposed to. My image deffinately doesn't match my voice.

I'm just wondering if there's a diagnosis or a cause?

Reply Flag this Discussion

3 Replies:

  • Do you have any kind of hormonal disorder and did you go through puberty and the changes (regular sexual characteristics) that come with it normally? The male voice is one of the secondary sexual characteristics and even tho I am no pro in the area I think affected by testeterone. I have read that the cause for persisting high-pitched voice (called puberphonia and mutational falsetto) is psychological. I also recall that it can be corrected quite easy. You might want to talk to your GI about it. Hope this helps... Kiera
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 1, 2007
    • 08:16 AM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • I would first share your concern with your normal family doctor and perhaps ask to get your hormone levels checked (if you haven't already). He/she would have some blood drawn and send it to a lab which would then determine the amount of testosterone as well as female hormones like estradiol. If you didn't have enough testosterone then theoretically this could impact your voice depending on the circumstances.That being said, low testosterone doesn't seem likely since you would have other abnormal physical characteristics not just a high voice, and you say you have gone through all the stages of puberty and your image doesn't match your voice.You might try googling puberphonia. Here are two links I found which might be helpful, regarding treating this condition with speech counseling and with a medical procedure where apparently your vocal cords are manipulated: Speech counseling is time-consuming and may not be feasible but it could help. If you're able to make your voice sound deep if you really try (as if imitating someone) then this method might help: http://www.doctorndtv.com/feature/detailarchivefeature.asp?id=106 A more drastic but apprently effective treatment is having your vocal cords physically stretched.http://www.ijohns.com/article.asp?issn=0019-5421;year=2006;volume=58;issue=1;spage=20;epage=21;aulast=VaidyaIn any case please don't give up. If you have puberphonia there are ways succesfully treat it. Good luck!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • November 1, 2007
    • 05:08 PM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • Try going to a specialist such as an endocrinologist. If they can't find anything wrong, maybe your vocal chords didn't grow to the extent they're supposed to for reasons yet unknown, just like the grown man soprano Michael Maniaci.
    Anonymous 1 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.

Signs of a Psoriasis Flare

Know the five types of psoriasis and how to spot flares.

How Diabetes Medications Affect Your Appetite

Newer diabetes treatments can suppress appetite and aid weight loss.

What to Do For Dry Mouth

Try these tips to get your salivary glands back into action.

The Painkiller – Constipation Connection

Constipation is a common side effect of opioid and narcotic pain medicines.

9 Signs of Sensitive Skin

Is it sensitive skin or something else?