Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Hyperparathyroid or something else?

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 0 Replies
  • Posted By: doranna
  • August 10, 2011
  • 11:07 PM

I just turned 53 and recently found out after having a DEXA Scan that I have severe osteoporosis. Rheumatologist immediately put me on Forteo because my T scores were -4 in spine and -3.3 in hips. Bloodwork in early July showed high calcium 11.0, the doctor repeated it a week later and it was still elevated at 10.8 PTH was 17. I then go to see an endocrinologist surgeon and he does an ultrasound on me that shows an enlarged gland on the right and one on the left. He schedules me for surgery and has me go to the hospital to do a parathyroid scan with some other tests. My calcium comes back at 10.1 (high end of normal) PTH is 41 and my ionized calcium was 1.19 (range 1.12 to 1.23) scan shows nothing. I did however; have a new technician doing the scan and he really did not know what he was doing. The surgeon called and cancelled the surgery saying he's not sure if this is hyperparathyroid. Needless to say, my bones are in really bad shape, I always have bone pain, I'm tired, can't remember things like I use to, I drink a lot and get up at night to go to the bathroom. I am so desperate for a diagnosis....I'm suppose to see another endocrinologist for more testing in September. Till then, I still have no answers. Any ideas? I need help bad!!!!!!

Reply Flag this Discussion
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.

Signs of a Psoriasis Flare

Know the five types of psoriasis and how to spot flares.

How Diabetes Medications Affect Your Appetite

Newer diabetes treatments can suppress appetite and aid weight loss.

What to Do For Dry Mouth

Try these tips to get your salivary glands back into action.

The Painkiller – Constipation Connection

Constipation is a common side effect of opioid and narcotic pain medicines.

9 Signs of Sensitive Skin

Is it sensitive skin or something else?