Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Hip joint pains, I'm confused.

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 1 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • September 30, 2008
  • 05:25 PM

Edit: I think I posted this in the wrong section, I didn't see the symptoms section at first. :(

I have been having pains in my hips for as long as I can remember(I am 18 now), and I remember incidences from when I was as young as 7 or 8 of running around and having one of my legs give out. Recently(for the past 6 months at least), the joints in both of my legs have been aching and are very very sore. The amount of pain varies, and sometimes when I wake up in the morning I can hardly move, and have to adjust myself to the pain of moving my legs.

I am a fairly active female, 130lbs and standing at 5'5", I don't smoke drink, or do any drugs, I don't like sodas or energy drinks, or anything with caffeine(caffeine makes me drowsy), and even if I did do those things now, I don't think it would be related because this has been going on for a while.

I went to see my doctor yesterday, and she seemed really concerned and told me she would call me for an appointment for an x-ray. She was about to say what she thinks I may have, but then she told me the name was really long and hard to pronounce(She's french, so I guess it's fair).

I'm really anxious and I really want to know what condition she was thinking of, because she's fairly sure it's what I have. I doubt it's arthritis because that is easy to say, and her english is fairly decent. I would like to hear about what it could be before my appointment, because I have no idea when it will be.

Also, since my doctor looked concerned, I'm concerned. I know that something's wrong, but I really hope it's easily fixed. :(

Reply Flag this Discussion

1 Replies:

  • It is unfortunate that your physician sent you home without an appointment for an xray. You will need to see an orthopedic surgeon (who are bone specialists, and the doctors that deal with any kind of bone problem, which is what you have). I would recommend making an appointment with one, unless you require pre-approval from your primary physician for insurance purposes, in which case you should call the office and request a referral to an orthopedic surgeon. Bear in mind that I cannot examine you in order to properly diagnose you (which any proper physician must do). However, the condition you most likely have is Legg-Calve-Perthes syndrome. There is no reason why your physician shouldn't have explained this to you. Next time, you should be proactive and ask. It involves degeneration of the hip joints in young people. http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic294.htmhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perthes%27_diseaseThere is no reason to be scared or panic - when you are stressed, your body is not able to function properly and heal as it should. Therefore, it is important that you find an orthopedic surgeon that you like and trust (go to a few if you want! interview them and decide who you like best. how you feel about your surgeon will go a long way toward determining how well you two will work together as a team.), and work together as a team to find the best way to make you better.This is not to say you will necessarily need surgery. However, orthopedic surgeons are specialists in bones, so they are the most qualified to help you determine the best treatment options for you. You will need an xray before you see the orthopedic surgeon, so you may as well schedule that first and then be sure to get copies of the xray and take them with you. An MRI will be helpful too if you can get one done - just be sure to get the images on a cd and take them with you. It is your patient information and thus you are entitled to have any of it that you like!Good luck.
    MD2010 5 Replies
    • September 30, 2008
    • 11:15 PM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.