Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Help. Misdiagnosis - emergency surgery required...or not?

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 2 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • December 16, 2006
  • 10:50 AM

Hello--I'm a 37 year old male that's had a pretty crappy last few days/weeks and I need some advice.

Last few weeks I've had bladder problems, difficulty urinating, frequency, and some burning. Also some bloating in my stomach/instestinal area, as well as a slight pain in the pelvic area. I saw my regular doctor TWICE, and all he did was throw some meds at me. Flomax and Vesicare. I took them for a week, and it did not help at all. I then saw a DIFFERENT doctor, that was alarmed after doing an examination. She said I needed surgery IMMEDIATELY, as I had a strangled hernia. Said part of intestines were poking into my scrotal sack. Great...So I go to the surgeon the same day, and he examines me....Find's absolutely no hernia....WTF? And concludes my 2nd doctor may have been "overzealous"...and says he'll hook me up with a urologist on monday. Unfortunately I was not able to contact the 2nd doctor and will also have to wait till monday to ask her about this. She seemed VERY CONVINCED, and even was trying to "push it back in" for a few minutes....So either the Surgeon didn't examine me properly or this 2nd doctor is WAY offbase. (and perhaps has a screw loose if you ask me)

I do not have a fever, or any pain during the exams except some minor tenderness, otherwise I would go to the ER for a (4th?) opinion.

All in all this is quite ridiculous. Advice?

PS. I've examined myself as well, and although there is some "strangeness" in my scrotal sack (I can feel some things in there besides the testicals) I don't know if thats the normal "stuff" or if it could be a hernia.

PSS. I also do not have health insurance at the moment, or I would probably go to another ER to make sure about this. But, as I said before, I do not have any major pain or fever so I will wait.

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

  • Not surprising you are a little confused is it! Firstly, the lump you are feeling in your scrotum might be a varicocele - a varicose vein of the spermatic cord. They are very common, but you should still have it confirmed. I wonder if this was what the second doctor found. Secondly, the bladder problems sound like they might be something different. A urologist is the best person to see, but you should tell him of the the differing opinions of the two others. I doubt it is worth speaking to the second doctor again. Hope you get it sorted!
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 16, 2006
    • 09:31 PM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks for the reply.The surgeon is going to refer me to a Urologist on monday and I'll have some CT scans and X-rays done then.I'll also leave a message for that 2nd doctor, just for kicks and see what she has to say. One of these two doctors has their reputation on the line now, because whichever one screwed up, I'm certainly going to let everyone know about it...I did some research and that second doctor is an 11 year veteran, and the surgeon has been a doctor for 25 years....amazing how such experienced doctors can be wrong. I guess they are human too.As for that vericose vein, I guess the urologist will be able to look for that.And as if I didn't have enough to worry about, I got a bad case of thrush in my throat this weekend. yuck! :(
    Anonymous 42,789 Replies
    • December 16, 2006
    • 10:28 PM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.

Signs of a Psoriasis Flare

Know the five types of psoriasis and how to spot flares.

How Diabetes Medications Affect Your Appetite

Newer diabetes treatments can suppress appetite and aid weight loss.

What to Do For Dry Mouth

Try these tips to get your salivary glands back into action.

The Painkiller – Constipation Connection

Constipation is a common side effect of opioid and narcotic pain medicines.

9 Signs of Sensitive Skin

Is it sensitive skin or something else?