Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

help ant bite allergy

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 4 Replies
  • Posted By: stormthornnight
  • December 21, 2006
  • 03:51 AM

my boyfriend is severly alergic to ants. where they bite, he swells. when they bite him on his neck, it swells so he cant breath. its happened once , but all i did was CPR, and called 911. its hard to do it because his throat is swollon shut. im afraid that if it bites him near his windpipe, i may not be able to do anything. does anyone know what i should do if it happens?

Reply Flag this Discussion

4 Replies:

  • If your boyfriend have so severe allergic reaction he needs to carry a self-injecting syringe of epinephrine and antihistamine tablets for prompt treatment. Usually, this stops the reaction. Also, people with severe allergic reactions may undergo a long-term allergen immunotherapy.
    Anonymous 42789 Replies
    • December 28, 2006
    • 01:17 PM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • My 8 year old daughter stepped on an ant hill and she was bitten on her leg. Within 5 minutes she swelled up all over, her eyelids, her lips, her genitals. She broke out in hives everywhere , it was really bad. and she was nauseous and she vomited. I took her to the emergency room, since this had never happened before and she really scared me. Well she's fine now . She's taking PREDNISOLONE(some type of steroid medicine) for 4 days, plus Benadryle for 48 hours. The doctor also prescribed one of those epi pens in case, the next time she is bitten she develops a more serious reaction. LIKE SHE STOPS BREATHING! Needless to say, I'm scared to death. Because she has been bitten by ants before and there was no allergic reaction , but now after this, the doctor said "We can't know what kind of a reaction she'll have the next time." How likely is it that the next time will be more serious??? :confused:
    betulia 3 Replies
    • September 18, 2007
    • 01:02 AM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • I just had my allergic reaction earlier... I thought its strange to be allergic with ants... so Im not the only one... I always bring with me OTC anti-allergy tabs... if it gets worse (which happens) I ended up in hospitals with the injectables
    Anonymous 42789 Replies
    • January 28, 2009
    • 06:40 PM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • You need to get him an EPI-pen(for epinephrine).And to Betulia:she will have the same reaction or worse after each exposure.
    richard wayne2b 1232 Replies
    • January 29, 2009
    • 01:10 AM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.