I am a 20 yr. old male and i have been on acid reducers (ranitidine) for about 5 years now. Before I started taking it, I was sick (weight loss, flu-like symptoms) for about a month until my allergist suggested trying to take an acid reducer. After being undiagnosed for a month, believe it or not it helped within days. I have tried to stop taking the medicine because of bad things i have heard about long-time use, but I experience acid-reflux so bad that I am unable to sleep. Most of my symptoms come at night only, but can be very severe if i don't take any medicine. I have tried just plain calcium carbonate, but have been unsuccessful. I am kinda afraid to take this medicine for the rest of my life, especially since I have heard so many bad things about long-term use (for example the inablility to absorb nutrients). If anyone has an alternative way to help treat this disease it would be really appreciated.
Thank you so much for your help