Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Doctor says wait til June

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 2 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • April 17, 2007
  • 05:45 PM

I have had this lump on the side of my neck for over a month, it began small like a baby pea and then got bigger like a super ball. It is now smaller but still there, and another one is forming in the same manner on the lower right side of my neck.

My doctor says if the first one is still there in June, we'll do something. I have three kids and I am tired of pretending as if I'm not worried around them. I also have a horrible rash all over my body and my head that began about a week prior to the lump being noticed. This lump is plainly visible and people ask about it so I keep my hair covering it.

I told him I didn't want to wait til june but he just said not to worry. I have always trusted him but now I'm not so sure. Any advice would be appreciated.:confused:

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

  • Did your doctor say what he thought the lumps and rash are? And why you should wait a month and a half to do anything about them? Unless his diagnosis is really benign, I'd get a second opinion immediately.If you think there's even a slight chance that these lumps might be cancer, go to an oncologist immediately and push hard for treatment. My father died early last year of a skin cancer that got the better of him because (a) his primary doctor examined his initial lesion several times over a period of about eight months, at first saying it was nothing to worry about, then finally said, Hmm, maybe this is something to get checked out, (b) an oncologist then confirmed that it was a skin cancer, but said that it wasn't advancing quickly and there was no urgency about treatment, and (c) my father was too trusting of both doctors and too unassertive to push for fast diagnosis and treatment. As a result, by the time any of his doctors realized that the cancer was, in fact, serious and spreading fast, it was too late for my father to get effective treatment. Maybe my family should have considered suing the two doctors for negligence, but ... I guess we're just not lawsuit kinds of people.Trusting doctors is good up to a point. But if your gut ever seems to be telling you that something's not right, trust that more than the doctor.
    AmateurHistorian 74 Replies Flag this Response
  • It sounds like you might be having some kind of inflamatory response. The rash and then what would appear to be swollen lymph nodes. If the first mass is decreasing in size then it would seem unlikely to be cancerous- malignant tumors don't shrink, they only get larger. If you don't want to wait until June, at the very least get a CT Scan or PET Scan. Consulting an oncologist is definately a good idea to rule out cancer.
    Anonymous 42789 Replies Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.