Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Dire Inner Ear Pain, feels like something is in there

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 2 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • January 30, 2009
  • 10:56 PM

My doctor (ear specialist) removed a wax/skin/tissue/blood cyst a few months ago from my ear canal after I complained of lost hearing and the painfull feeling of something hard, like a golf ball, in the canal. But I am still suffering great pain even though my doctor swears there is nothing wrong. He told me to see my dentist, who told me there is nothing in my mouth causing this pain and referred me back to the doctor.

I have lost approx 50 to 75% of the hearing in my right ear and run hot and cold sweats throughout the day and night. It "feels" like there is a golf ball in my ear and it is painfull. One day it seemed to burst forth in a pain that was so bad, I threw up several times.

My ear is not sensitive to the touch, but does ache more at night from the cold if I lay on my side with that ear exposed. Hot packs help take the edge off and so does an asperine. The biggest help was a nighttime cold tablet. I can easily open and close my mouth, and chewing is not a problem. Only my right ear is affected.

Other history: My jaw was broken 11 years ago after a blow to the side of my head that caused a stroke and took my peripheral vision. But I went many years without pain after the initial healing from this injury. Could this stem from that?

I am at the end of my rope after 14 or 15 visits to the ear specialist. Thank you for any help you can offer.

~~~Grandma Mary

Reply Flag this Discussion

2 Replies:

  • Is this only in your right ear? Do you only have hearing loss on this side? Does it feel that the “golf ball” is where the wax was or deeper inside? Do you have any problem with your balance?
    Felsen 510 Replies
    • February 1, 2009
    • 01:27 AM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • Okay, if syringing was the main procedure used to extract the cerumen or ear wax, then subsequent chronic pain and even hearing loss has subsequently occurred in some instances. I believe this may be the case where you're concerned. I'm not certain if by the term "ear specialist" you are referring to an otolaryngologist or merely an audiologist, but the latter would have no business attempting to treat an ear condition as opposed to testing for one. Regardless, I would suggest that if you were initially treated by an otolaryngologist then you can request that they entertain a trial prescription of amitryptiline to determine if relief from the pain can be experienced. Low-dose Lamictal may also provide relief. NSIADs could also be a potential choice here, but I would try the others first. The pain you are experiencing is related to inflammation of the nerve that provides function to the ear. Treatment with the above-mentioned drugs can reduce this inflammation and in rare instances, may even lessen the auditory deficit as well. Best regards, J Cottle, MD
    JCottleMD 580 Replies
    • February 1, 2009
    • 01:55 PM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.