Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Consequences of a one-nighter.

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 4 Replies
  • Posted By: Desperatetimes
  • January 6, 2008
  • 03:16 PM

Hello all,

About 1.5 years ago I had a one niter with a girl I met at a club. We had unprotected oral sex but intercourse was protected.

About 3-4 weeks after I started noticing the urethral opening on my penis change in size. It looked swollen and the opening started to turn red. At the same time, my penis glans started to darken in color, from pink to purple. The glans have also started to look very dry. Aside from the physical symptoms, theres no discharge and no pain in urination. I went to see my family doctor right after and was tested negative for syphilis, gonorrhea and chlamydia. As pre-cautionary measures, my doc perscribed me a single dose of erythromycin which did not do anything. At that time my doc said it maybe just some physical changes and to ignore it, which I've done so for over a year.

Fastforward to today, the redness is still there around the urethra opening and the glans are still very dark in color. I've started to urinate much frequently - it feels like I cannot hold going to the bathroom. At times while at work - 8 hour day - I would goto the bathroom about 6 times.

I went back to my doc and she gave me apo-sulfatrim ds which also did nothing. Each time the urine tests came back as normal. I was referred to a urologist which all he did was a physical exmaination and said I had nothing to worry about.

To top it off, i've recently started experiencing joint pains in my right leg around the pelvis. The pain comes and goes but on certain days I wouldn't even be able to walk unless I take pain killers. I feel that the joint pain has started to move downwards towards my knees.

I've also tried doxycycline and other anti-biotics ( Flagyl, cipro and Ofloxacin) to no avail.

My doctor keeps insisting that I have nothing wrong and seems to dismiss all the other symptoms I am experiencing. I have also had a ultrasound to look at my kidneys and bladder which they said theres nothing wrong.

I have never had ANY of these problems until that one-niter and I worry that my health is slowly degenerating. I am absolutely sure there is something wrong with me.

I'm at my wits end.

I have another appointment with a urologist soon and hope he can give me a second a opinion.

Sorry for the long post but hope someone can help.

Nothing is worse than knowing you have a problem but unable to find a diagnosis to begin treatment.


Reply Flag this Discussion

4 Replies:

  • Find a Doctor who will test you for Ureaplasma. This is a VD. Can be an std, not very common, but can wreak havoc. Most Dr's don't even look for it...you may need to bring them documentation so they know what you are talking about...takes about a week or 2 to get test results. May be need to on antibiotics for a while...may always have it in your system..Try that anyway..
    Anonymous 42789 Replies
    • January 7, 2008
    • 04:40 AM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • Thanks for the response. I just contacted my family doctor and she didn't even know what Ureaplasma was but said she can test me for Mycoplasma. I've lost all confidence in her and am planning on switching to a new GP. After reading more on Ureaplasma it makes me more worried because If indeed I have Ureaplasma, I would have had it for over 1.5 years.
    Desperatetimes 1 Replies
    • January 8, 2008
    • 00:06 AM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • The answer is here: http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic3346.htm looks like a lot more blood work for you....throw in herpes2, hepatitis C (you need to be checked), hiv and about a half dozen others from that link....seems like a leak in the condom...
    Monsterlove 2921 Replies
    • January 8, 2008
    • 08:13 AM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • I think that you may want to have your GP refer you to a Urologist - or a male specialist who may deal better with VD or STD's. It's a tough position to be in really...These GP's are not very knowledgeable about issues outside of their scope, so a person could suffer months or years with an illness they can't even detect..They should send people to specialists more..they just don't. I don't know if you have ureaplasma, but it can be contracted from another person, and it causes the types of symptoms you have...Luckily a urologist or infectious disease specialist can test you for it - prob a swab(should be similiar to other STD swab tests..). The test has a negative/positive result, so you should at least be able to find out if this is it.
    Anonymous 42789 Replies
    • January 14, 2008
    • 00:35 AM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.