I am more than a little frustrated and I need some help. I have been treated by my doctors for over 6 months now for (what they believe is) shin splints. Leet me first list my symptoms and then I will continue:
1. Burning/Aching Feeling in both of my lower legs (Shin Area)
2. I have swelling in both of my lower legs
3. Tingling sensations throughout the lower legs (numbness)
4. I have a lump on my right lower leg that pops out when I try to run or walk for an extended period of time or distance
5. When I run or walk at a fast pace, my feet slap on the ground very loudly.
6. When I run or walk it literally feels like my legs are going to burst, the pressure makes them feel so tight
Now I will tell you that I am in the military and I have been seen my the medical staff for over 6 months. I have been told to not run during our exercise periods, nor should I be walking for more than 10 mins. This has been the case for about 5 months. I have had an MRI done, X-Rays and a limited bone scan. All of these were negative for fractures, although the bone scan showed what they felt was shin splints, the MRI which was done a few days ago now says that I don't even have shin splints.
I raised the question of Chronic Compartment Syndrome to my doctor today and I got a strange look on her face followed by a jar dropping.."What is that?", from her. Now I have researched CCS and see that my sypmtoms match CS exactly, but I understand that I need to have a pressure test done to be sure. Is there another possible diagnosis or am I crazy. I have heard that because I am having this tingling sensation that should immediately rule out Shin Splints as a diagnosis, being that shin splints does not involve nerves (the timgling feeling).