Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

choosing a doctor

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 3 Replies
  • Posted By: alexburton
  • October 20, 2008
  • 06:08 AM

i'm sure im not the only one that has been to one doc after another with disappointing results. When i first starting going to docs with my symptoms i did not get anywhere.

to make a long story short i now believe because of an injury i had years ago my immune system has started attacking healthy tissues. There is an inflammatory foreign body response much like what would happen with someone who gets a skin graft transplant that there body rejects. It's a chronic rejection...it doesn't stop until treated. I believe it can be treated with immunosuppresent drugs.

now my problem is not only explaining this to a doc but finding the right kind of doctor to see. Do i even bother with the docs i saw a couple years ago that blew me off or do i try going to someone new who will have no frame of reference and will just have to believe what i'm telling them?

what kind of doc do i see? what i have seems to be so much over the head of your avg family doc or internal medicine doc yet I don't know what kind of specialist to see.

Reply Flag this Discussion

3 Replies:

  • A good rheumatologist.
    Felsen 510 Replies
    • October 20, 2008
    • 05:10 PM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • I would suggest an allergy/immunology specialist. You can find one here: http://www.aaaai.org/physref/
    aquila 1,263 Replies
    • October 20, 2008
    • 07:16 PM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • A good rheumatologist.yeah thats the problem...a good rheumatolgist....i've seen two already and they were useless
    alexburton 48 Replies
    • October 23, 2008
    • 07:10 AM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.

Signs of a Psoriasis Flare

Know the five types of psoriasis and how to spot flares.

How Diabetes Medications Affect Your Appetite

Newer diabetes treatments can suppress appetite and aid weight loss.

What to Do For Dry Mouth

Try these tips to get your salivary glands back into action.

The Painkiller – Constipation Connection

Constipation is a common side effect of opioid and narcotic pain medicines.

9 Signs of Sensitive Skin

Is it sensitive skin or something else?