Discussions By Condition: I cannot get a diagnosis.

Chest Deformity

Posted In: I cannot get a diagnosis. 3 Replies
  • Posted By: Anonymous
  • November 13, 2008
  • 07:40 AM

I am 22 years old and for as long as I can remember, I have been reluctant to remove my shirt in public due to a chest abnormality. It is not as severe as most of the ones I have seen online, but its enough to cause me a large psychological burden.

I have searched through various websites, lists of symptomatology and pictures of other sufferers yet I have not been able to come to a conclusion.

The left side of my chest is larger than my right, and while there is a very slight difference in the muscle that I can feel on each side, the main cause of this is that my rib cage on the left side sticks out. It doesnt seem to be Pectus Carinatum because the sternum itself is neither sunken in nor protruding. It doesnt seem to be Poland syndrome because I dont have ANY of the other symptoms associated with the dissorder. I also do not believe it is Pectus excavatum because no part of the chest seems to sink inward. If I place my hand on my chest I can VERY CLEARLY feel the bone on the left side protruding. It actually feels even worse than it looks. I'm at a loss.

If someone out there has any idea what disorder this is, is it possible that building chest muscle will work to mask it? As I stated there is not much difference in what appears to be the muscle on each side....just the rib cage itself. Is there any alternative besides surgery to correct this?

Many Thanks.

Reply Flag this Discussion

3 Replies:

  • Well, without really knowing what is causing the deformity, I can't say for sure, but I have a cousin with a sunken chest, and his dad said he'd had a friend whose chest was so sunken "you could set a softball in it", until he got older, and bulked up, and then it corrected itself, so it is possible.
    qwertyuiop123 453 Replies
    • November 15, 2008
    • 00:04 AM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • Get looked at, especially if you're tall and lanky. Chest abnormalities can be associated with Marfan syndrome, a genetic problem. If your regular doctor can't nail it down, ask to see a genetiist.
    aquila 1263 Replies
    • November 17, 2008
    • 08:28 PM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
  • I have the same opinion-check out Marfan's.
    Anonymous 42789 Replies
    • November 18, 2008
    • 10:28 AM
    • 0
    Flag this Response
Thanks! A moderator will review your post and it will be live within the next 24 hours.